30 Day Rule/Focus; November 2023. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Oct 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The one time it didn't work for me was when I went for Maggard's Tobaccp&Leather. Little did I know that there was about 8 times more Tobacco than Leather, and the Tobacco smelled a lot like Cigarette tobacco. Ironically, that purchase cost me my NB18 run.

ChrisB and SDK like this.
  2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Anything tobacco destroys my face. Also even a trace of menthol or tea tree oil is like the equivalent of putting a torch on my skin. I found both of those things out the hard way lol

3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Wonderful shave Scott!

JACarbone and SDK like this.
  4. Trigger

As far as I know, he doesn't do samples.

5. Trigger

Nov 19 SOTA

Good afternoon.

Shavette Shave #508
    Dovo
    Personna Hairshaper Blade (#10)
    Hembree Delrin/Maggard Timberwolf Brush
    Captain's Choice North SS and AS
    Stirling Alum Block
    Modessa Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 23 hrs

20231118_204546.jpg

I am back to shaving with my Dovo that is loaded with a Personna Hairshaper Blade with 9 prior shaves on it.
    I know that I am repeating myself, but it's an outerwordly shaving experience with this razor. The caveat with this razor is that it's very light and requires a lighter touch than shaving with a traditional straight, otherwise it's going to bite you within a twinkling of an eye. Ok, maybe that's a little hyperbole, but it still needs a light touch. Also, the metal portion that holds the insert and blade may not be tight so you may have to slightly crimp the ends so that it binds the insert and blade more tightly. The Captain's Choice soap loves water and it provides a slick, creamy lather. Here's my lather:

20231119_161029.jpg

Although it wasn't necessary, I did my usual 3 pass shave. I got a bloodless BBS shave. Captain's Choice provides a nice slick lather which helps any seasoned shaver to achieve a very good result. There wasn't any alum feedback so I guess that I was on the mark with my technique. Applied the witch Hazel and the matching aftershave. I am quite pleased with this shave. Tomorrow, I will bring out my Parker Shavette, but I am not sure of the rest of the setup. I got 24 hrs to decide. Lol! Take care.

JACarbone, brit, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thank you Joe! Have a great Sunday.

I’m chatting about some samples with Don and think he is going to send me some….

7. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Lovely shave and as always you made a great lather!

JACarbone, Trigger and ChrisB like this.
  8. Paul Turner

I understand the tea tree oil persuasion, but menthol, too? The latter sure feels nice on those warm humid days.

ChrisB likes this.
  9. Trigger

Well I am glad that you may get some samples. His soaps are so soft that you can use your fingers to scoop it out for bowl lathering. If you do eventually decide to get a puck, then I wouldn't use a wet brush to load it because the water would really make a mess of it. You would have to dry load the brush and then face lather it instead.

JACarbone, ChrisB and SDK like this.
  10. Trigger

Thank you Scott.

11. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I have some odd skin sensitivities. Problems with a dry and irritated face are what initially drove me to start researching different shave methods ten years ago.

I remember people discussing how awesome “frozen” menthol shaves were. I tried twice with menthol and had an allergic reaction to it both times. The equivalent of a bad sunburn.

12. Trigger

That's too bad that you are allergic to menthol, Scott. However, there are soaps that have a synthetic chemical similar to the properties of menthol. I don't know if you would be allergic to those soaps as well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    JACarbone and ChrisB like this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

IMG_5628.jpeg

SRS # 999

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Thistle 5/8”
    Brush: JTSpartan Boar 24 mm
    Pre-Shave: Pears Transparent Soap
    Lather: Lakewood Soap Company Mr. Powell's Mellow Honey Mash Shave Soap
    Aftershave: Los Jabones de Joserra Gredos
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

ChrisB, Trigger and brit like this.
  14. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Lovely looking brush Joe. You have some interesting things in your Den.

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  15. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

20 Nov 2023 (No Repeat November)

32 hours: late afternoon shave, simpler setup

Prep = Cold Water Prep and shave (actually luke-warm at this time of the year)
    Pre shave and cream = TOBS Jermyn street collection in a tube as preshave and shaving soap, added some glycerine towards the end of the shave
    Brush = Puro Tasso
    Bowl = Timeless
    Razor = R89
    Blade = Derby Premium (1)
    Passes = 3 +++
    Post = Usual CWR, Alum, CSR, Thayers
    Scent = Proraso Cypress and Vetyver
    Damage = none, but there was some minor stinging with the Alum, a reflection of needing more strokes of the razor than I usually do with this mild combo

Score = Still a 9 / 10
    Comments = Pre shave the same as my lather. Overall the lather did not compare to say Derby/Arko/Cella etc, and thinned out quite a bit towards the end. To my nose it had almost no scent at all. The Derby Premium is smooth, as I discovered earlier on March this year, but not really efficient in the R89. Hence many more strokes were needed per pass. Interesting. I binned this blade. Next time I use this blade it will be with a more aggressive razor to see if I can get a better result

Last shave for a short while. Will be taking a short break from shaving, but will keep a keen eye on the TSD while I am away

Have a lovely week ahead guys and gals

20 Nov 2023.jpg

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  16. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thank you Joe! I will look into it….

17. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Great looking shave and more cool products to research!

18. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Great shave Chris! I have the Jermyn Street cologne. Very nice scent for when I need to be a bit more refined….

19. Trigger

Lovely shave Chris. Take care.

JACarbone, SDK and ChrisB like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Maybe some menthols are meant to be more comforting to the skin than others? For instance, I always feel Mennen Skin-Bracr is pleasant. Just cool enough, not like Aqua Velva or Doc Ezlovan's glacials at Stoylin. (Doc Ezlovan-Rod Lovan, the Stoylin owner....Stoylin-Stirling Soaps.). Was it you who said you didn't like BodyWashes? Give Stoylin's offerings a try. Not the same as your drugsstore brands(Dial, Nivea, etc).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.