30 Day Rule/Focus; Sept 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Aug 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.:):eatdrink047:.they are.mine have age hardened a little but loaded easily from the tub.the vanilla sandalwood is my least used one but all are near full.doubtfull they will see a dent even with the full month of use.:):eatdrink047:

2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have zero Stirling soaps so, single edge month for me. I may toss in a few DX shaves too

3. brit

brit in a box

they are fine soaps both in value and performance.i haven't purchased any since before the plague set in,they age well.:)

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for this month. I suppose I could indeed call it Stoylin September, as I begin each shower with a Stoylin Bath Soap, from Doc Ezlovan's Bath Soap Plan , or whatever it's called. But I will honor the month by using Stoylin for other purposes, too. (Course I do that throughout the year anyway, but this is month Stoylin gets a star). Perhaps another name I could give it is "Slow&Steady September".

5. brit

brit in a box

very cool Paul.try skin stretching on every stroke as well.it helps flatten the area to be shaved and reduces the risk of loose skin/wrinkles being caught by the blades.:):eatdrink047:

6. Paul Turner

Right, I saw your comment on its advantages, but it's something I'll need to practice, so as not to shave the hand that stretches it.

JACarbone, Hembree, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very good.it really helps.if you are shaving under your chin for example hold the skin tight below the lather level on your neck.when shaving a cheek,try pushing your free hand upwards in front of your ear while shaving downwards.take your time,low light pressure.

JACarbone, Hembree, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Thanks much for the coaching, Gary. I think it would be more natural for me under the chin(Cactus Nation), but I'll try it that way for a full shave(cheeks included).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    JACarbone, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

To begin this month, I had good ol' Razorock Lime Burst soap/Stoylin Glacial Lime A.S. I had 2 loading sessions (one before each pass). It's a little cooler today and tomorrow, thus I was afraid the Glacial A.S. might be too cold, but it is OK, comfortable. Solid shave overall-making sure there was no astroturf at my least favorite area(right side jawline, under ear). I succeeded on that front. No cuts, one Knick, no Polka-dots. Most Excellent.

JACarbone, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Y'know, I never use the term "What the puck" in naming my Razorock Lime Burst. Why. I'm just afraid I might do a typo on "puck". Better safe than sorry. They are great soaps, though,

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The air has changed here about a week ago......feels like fall now. Canada will soon return and this will become "The Great White North". Winds are out of the NW today keeping it cool......Canada has invaded.....

12. Paul Turner

Joe, well done as always. As for your..well, #3, I think "frustrated in figuring out" would be better than "reluctant".

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Don't buy this soap then...LOL

DSCN9056.JPG

Ursa, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Right....Mudder Focker would create much more of a challenge :). Which is sad, as I'm suere it's a fine soap.

15. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great start to the month Paul.

16. Trigger

Thanks Paul. I was going to use that phrase, but I thought it was too negative. I was going to use reticent, but I didn't want to come off too cerebral. The word shy was bandied about, but I didn't think it would be a good fit, so I chose the word reluctant because it was more neutral. I admit that I don't always hit the mark, but I just don't write nilly-willy. When I write the month's intro, I plan it very carefully.

17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

It had been a while since I used the Feather DX so, I was a little apprehensive about using it this morning but, it actually was a pleasant shave. I think I may use it again tomorrow and through the weekend. I will start the Single Edge razors on Monday. maybe even do a "Micromatic Menthol Monday" :D

DSCN9647.JPG

18. Trigger

Nice session Hogie! It sounds like a great plan.

19. Trigger

September 1 SOTA

Good afternoon.

Shavette Shave #391
    Parker Shavette
    Gillette Winner 1/2 DE Blade (3)
    Catie's Bubbles Synthetic Brush
    Shannon's Soap The Warrior SS
    Pinaud-Clubman Classic AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 30 hrs

20220831_210244.jpg

Well, I finally finished The Warrior Soap except for a small remnant that would not give me a full shave so I transferred it to my shaving mug with my Fine Platinum Soap.
    My next soap to be used up will be my Cryogen and that will be done sometime next month. So, I will primarily be using my Stirling samples this month. Of course, I reserve the right to use other brands this month.
    Anyway, I did a 2 pass plus pickup shave and it was quite close. It would have been a 98% grade under my old system, but I had just a little too much pressure as I landed underneath my nose and got a tiny nick just below my nostril. I just shook my head laughing. I used up my Styptic pen so I hit it with the Alum and it disappeared. I looked again and couldn't believe that there wasn't any sign of it. I don't need to be called Scarface. Lol! Finished with my usual routine and felt refreshed. My grade under my old system would be 90. I will take 90 and above, everytime. Have a great evening!

Hembree, palmolive fox, brit and 4 others like this.
  20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

BBDE7932-5410-4B1F-A6A3-1F02E2BF512F.jpeg

SRS # 748

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Drew Dick 7/8” Quarter Hollow Purple Heartwood
    Brush: Jack Skully
    Lather: Stirling Electric Sheep
    Aftershave: Stirling Electric Sheep - Glacial
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Humphreys Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

I believe I will continue with the current usage of my razors. Predominantly 80% of my shaves are of the SE variety, straights, shavettes, GEMS and injectors. I guess year round I am participating in an SEptember type shave. Additionally, I will incorporate Sample Shave September for about half of my shaves this month.

The Drew Dock razor is fresh off of the hones. I did get a reasonably close shave, although not as close to previous shaves. I will have to work on the blade some more.

The Stirling Electric Sheep lathered exceptionally well with the synthetic brush that has a sturdy backbone.
    Hope you all have a fabulous start to the month.

Hembree, palmolive fox, brit and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.