30 Day Rule/Focus; September 2023. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Aug 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone!

Depending on where you live, fall or spring is approaching fast. It means that most of you will be changing your rotation of soaps to reflect your incoming season. It may be that you are low on the appropriate seasonal soaps/or aftershaves. If you are, then I hope you find bargains to replenish your inventory. Thankfully, it is one of the many enjoyable aspects of our hobby.

Moving forward, I want to thank everyone for sharing their shaves last month. For the most part, your shaves were great. Yes, we had some less than stellar shaves, but that's par for the course. We can't always hit it out of the park. I am happy to welcome back some members who haven't been on this thread for some time, James @jtface and Troy @Troy M.

Monthly Theme
    This month's theme is the tried and true Single Edge September. It's the month when you shave with your single edge razors like the Supply, Schick, The Hawk, etc. Shavettes and straight razors are included because they have single edges as well. I know that there are double edge shavettes so they don't count as far as adhering to this month's main theme.
    Joe @JACarbone and John @Screwtape suggested Stirling September. I can't say no to that idea because I love Stirling. So go ahead and use mostly Stirling products for this month. Get out their soaps, aftershaves, balms and brushes. I am all for it. Another suggestion would be Synthetic Brush September. Yes, it's self-explanatory. So just use your synthetic brushes. A final suggestion would be Shave Stick September. Time to get out the Palmolive, Tabac, Arko and other soaps in stick form. Soaps that you have grated and formed into a stick are allowed and encouraged. As a reminder, these are suggestions. Therefore, you don't need to adhere to them. If you have your own theme, then that's great.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!
    I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave.

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

The Focus
    For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great September shaves and fellowship.

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    Screwtape, Terry, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  2. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent introduction Giuseppe.

brit, ChrisB, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

IMG_5376.jpeg

SRS # 950 - Fougere Friday Shave - Brocha

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Thiers-Issard Super Gnome Extra
    Brush: Opus Shaving Brushes “Underdog”
    Lather: Old Cahaba Shave Club Brocha
    Aftershave: Los Jabones de Joserra Brocha
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Multiples of 25 TI shave as well. The TI is the first straight razor I purchased to start this razor rabbit hole back in 2002. Therefore, the TI receives the honor of the shave for every multiple of 25 in my straight razor count up. Also, it stays in the regular rotation as well. This means that straight shave # 952 will feature the TI.

Outstanding Fougere Friday shave. With a small almond sized scoop of soap the boar brush was able to produce a luxurious lather.
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    The end result of this shave was super smoothness without any hiccups or irritation. It received the SOA from the missus.

As I started in my final shave post yesterday, there is no need to designate Single Edge (SEptember) as most of my shaves, approximately two-thirds are of the singe edge variety. In the past I have done Sampe SEptember but this month I will leave that for my Sample Sundays. I will go with Stirling September using the soap and splash for at least half my shaves.

Hope you all have a great month of shaves. Those in the USA, have a great Labor Day weekend.

Troy M, brit, ChrisB and 2 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Thank you Joe.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  5. Trigger

Super September start Joe! Have a safe Labor Day Weekend!

ChrisB, brit and JACarbone like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe. You as well.

brit and Trigger like this.
  7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    Ikon S3S stainless steel razor head.
    Maggard's MR3 stainless steel handle (modified).
    Astra SP blade.
    MrEE LE number 011 brush.
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap.
    Timeless Razor shave bowl.

Fat Friday shave....love the Mitchell’s!

I have not had Evan's brush out in a while but man is it a joy to use. The S3S completed three very nice passes.

Happy Friday everyone!

Troy M, JACarbone, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Beautiful beginning shave Danny! I agree that Evan's brushes are a joy to use. Enjoy your day.

ChrisB, brit and Hembree like this.
  9. Hembree

Thanks Joe and I hope your day is great!

ChrisB, brit and Trigger like this.
  10. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Lovely intro Joe. Looking forward to everyone's shaves and posts.

Paul Turner, Trigger and brit like this.
  11. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

01 Sep 2023

48 hours
    01 Sep 2023.jpg

Prep = usual with Proraso pre shave
    Soap = Sterling Black Cherry
    Brush = Pura Setola, not my best performer
    Bowl = Timeless
    Razor = Tech
    Blade = Platinum (3)
    Passes = 2 + tu
    Technique = usual
    Post = cwr, alum, Thayer, Nivea balm, followed by Sterling Bay rum
    Scent = Proraso cypress and Vetyver, this outperformed the Bay Rum during the course of the day
    Damage = none
    Score = 9/10
    Comments = A Sterling Start for September

Safe Labor Day w/e to those in the USA

12. brit

brit in a box

fine start to september gents.:cool::bounce017:

13. brit

brit in a box

-Friday-
    aristocrat/kcg
    simpson
    b & m
    floid

[​IMG]

happy friday everyone.
    :eatdrink047:

Screwtape, Troy M, ChrisB and 2 others like this.
  14. Trigger

I appreciate your kind words Chris. Thank you for being part of the 30 DC crew.

ChrisB, JACarbone and brit like this.
  15. Trigger

That's a nice way to get your month started Chris. Thanks for the sentiment on celebrating Labor Day for US citizens like me.

16. Trigger

The picture says it all Gary. Enjoy your day.

17. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.,you as well.:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  18. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Joe, I want in. SEptember is always a fun month. Normally I only use an injector once a week, but during SEptember I alternate between 4 SEs (three injectors and an MMOC), every other shave with my DEs. While they are generally less irritating for me compared to double edge blades, I find injector and gem blades are less forgiving. I can do every other shave comfortably. I started SEptember with my Asylum Injector. Pic to follow.

Screwtape, Troy M, ChrisB and 3 others like this.
  19. Trigger

Charlie, glad to have you aboard this month! Looking forward to your posts.

chazt, ChrisB, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. Hembree

Thanks Gary

Trigger, brit and JACarbone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.