30mm badger strategies

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigCabDaddy, Jan 23, 2016.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I picked up a Whipped Dog, 30mm, high mountain badger admittedly on a whim but also with the idea of proving a couple things to myself:
    • What is the practical limit to brush size? I think I may have crossed the limit. At least without deploying some alternate strategies which is what prompts this post.
    • Will this huge of a knot provide enough backbone for me to enjoy badger? The answer here is a qualified "yes." Definitely more backbone. But because this brush is high mountain (I live the look.) and my only other badger experience was with pure bristle 22mm, it could also be bristle or density related as much as knot diameter or loft. Regardless though, I still think the pleasures of badger might be lost on me. What others describe as heavenly softness, just strikes me as mushiness both with this brush and the last. In case you're wondering, I don't have the same reaction to synthetics I think because of how the bristles bounce back.
    So anyway, the questions: I don't imagine many of you have this brush, but what would you think is the best way to load and lather with it?
    • Loading it straight from a Proraso tub just isn't very practical because the bulb of the brush is actually bigger than the tub. I think my first mistake was not adequately loading. I guess maybe scooping some out of the container and pressing it into the bottom of the larger diameter bowl?
    • In which case, I guess you'd be bowl building your lather. I haven't done that in awhile having settled into face lathering, so it will take a little practice.
    • Is there a trick involved in getting a brush such as this to release it's lather? What lather I had, seemed to be stuck inside the brush for the most part.
    • My normal brush care routine with my boars and to a lesser extent, synthetics is to comb the brush immediately after use and then again the next day. I haven't tried the next day combing yet, but with this brush there was no way to get a comb through it immediately after the shave. I realize not everyone combs their brushes period, but for those that do, does it just not work with badgers or is this one just that dense?

JR Reyes and CyanideMetal like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have one of these Kent T12 brushes that have a 32-33mm knot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453566831.128258.jpg

It's a, to me, huge knot and I agree with that it might just be too big. Having said that I do enjoy using it from time to time but maybe once or twice a month or so.

I use it with shaving creams and then face lather as it feels too big for using with a scuttle or load from a tub of soap. It works pretty well and it is certainly capable of producing some nice lather - while covering half my face :)

I don't comb my brushes so I can't talk to that point.

RaZorBurn123 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I love that brush! I know, I know -- gear lust is never sated for long. :signs131:

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Go big or go home? I like that you are exploring the outer reaches. For you, common sense and utility have (maybe) reached the edge of the envelope.
    I haven't yet found a boar too big for me. Still too new to my first badger to have an informed opinion.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I like big knots and I cannot lie. I have several 28-32mm brushes and the only advise I can give you is transfer all your soaps to a pie pan.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good luck with your experiments to find what works.
    I have a 24mm silvertip and know from that I don't want larger.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Ok I can try and help...

I am a lover of larger brushes. But I'm also very particular with the type knots I use in large brushes.

I for one use 2 band brushes in fan shape for the most part. Always keeping my lofts lower which keeps the knot more compact.

May I ask what u had Larry do to ur knot? Do u have the specs?

I have found that when I make lather I use circular motions to start then all paintbrush after. This releases the lather out of the knot well.

As to the container size some just won't work. If I were u I would grab some 2 cup stackable bowls as they will give u ample loading room. Then transfer soaps that r too small into those.

I personally have never combed my brushes. I will say u need to spend extra rinsing time to make sure knot is rinsed properly. I do this but I'm also neurotic about my brushes!

Hope this helps!

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  8. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I transfer all my soaps in two wooden ceramic or glass containers easier to load much more decorative

9. KCphotog

KCphotog Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    This is a 30mm Whipped Dog Silvertip that I made and it is one of my favorite brushes. I mounted the knot 20mm deep to give it plenty of backbone. I am a face latherer and it still does great, but I agree loading from small tubs/tins is a challenge. I usually only use it with the bigger 4, 5.8 or 8oz tins. For the small 2oz tins and small tubs I usually got for a smaller brush. But when I am loading it I usually do so at a bit of an angle and then slowly rotate the brush as I swirl it to make sure its getting loaded all the way around. It is not a lather hog for me at all, but I do have a 24mm High Mountain from them thats only set at the standard 10mm deep setting and it is a huge floppy lather hog. I hardly ever use it, it just flops around on my face pushing the lather more than anything, and to get any lather out of it I am constantly squeezing the knot.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

No experience doing it myself, but I have heard about using rubber O rings to pinch the knot. It might give less flop, like setting the knot deeper in the handle.

BigCabDaddy likes this.