3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 27, 2016.

?

How do you like your razor?

1. Mild and smooth

64 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Aggressive and efficient

45 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. With two lumps and a biscuit...

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Doesn't matter, Techniques Trump Tools!!!

51 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Three basic techniques to develop.

1) Ride the cap - places the blade at it's best angle.
    2) Little or no pressure - unlearning cartridge habits.
    3) Skin stretching - flatten and hold taunt for less errors.

Check in at The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group for daily affirmations of these fundamental technique triumps. And Shenanigans ;)
    There's a good chance someone has experience with the new razors you're awaiting and a near certainty of better shaves.

2. T_I

T_I Active Member

I may hope so for one of teh razors, a '67 Gillette Slim Adjustable. They are around a while and seem to be pretty popular. ;)

brit, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Excellent! Sorry I missed this post.

4. Bama Samurai

The correct dial setting will be nine. ;)

Dirtfarmer and RyX like this.
  5. T_I

T_I Active Member

Well, nop, not for my skin.
    Went down to 6 on the Slim Adjustable until the Parthenon came in, that's even further down to 2 and gives a perfect shave on that setting with Feather blades.
    When I set the razors more aggressive, I have the feeling I need to shave more often. As if the hairs compensate their growth for being cut down so aggressively.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

As your technique builds your thoughts will change. No such thing as too aggressive a razor.

brit and Enrico like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I also find, I can get a great shave from even the mildest razors.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy nice. All part of the fun!!

Enrico and RyX like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

So glad you found your way!

T_I and RyX like this.
  10. KimNB

KimNB Active Member

I stumbled on this thread yesterday and boy am I glad I did. I have been unsure if I liked my Edwin Jagger E86. I tried riding the cap and got the best shave from it this morning. Thanks for the tip.

Keithmax, wristwatchb, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

All razors are the same at skin-meets-bevel level. It's all technique. Glad you solved some issues! People here have this massive internal dialogue about safety razors. Many are unfortunately confused, and haven't really stuck with anything long enough to achieve mastery. It's why you read razor and blade reviews from vets that indicate poor results. If all the things they're about to tell you about were true... No one would ever be able to use a straight razor, as it would be far too "aggressive" to be serviceable. If your shave method involves a single blade...It's all technique. Save your money. Master that 89, like shave in the dark mastery (few actually do this). Then just buy whatever razor you think looks cool. You'll already know how to use it, and every other safety razor out there! Good luck, and have fun with your new-found skill.

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The EJ86 is great razor, I only got rid of it when it wasn’t getting enough attention due to my other favorites; so I found it a new home.

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  13. vinny g

vinny g Member

"shaving in the dark" sounds like a good title for a song :)

Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Like a 1940's romance song. :D

15. vinny g

vinny g Member

when i started to learn this i switched from shave lather to shave cream non lathering this gave me a good look at the blade head to the skin it wasn't buried in lather.
    when i made a stroke i could look at the under side of the head through the lather holes and see if the cream was piling up on the blade then i knew i was on the right track if it was on the safety bar i had to adjust the angle i could check on this through out the shave it helped me just thought i would share. good shaves everyone.

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I guess I'm a newbie in that I have been only DE shaving for about 4 months.
    I've learned so much here at TSD.
    I started with the walmart special Van Der Hagen to a Muker 23c, Weishi butterfly blew thru them to a Parker 99 to a Schöne Italian open comb. Got a Razorock 37 slant and loved it. I have a Muhle 41 used it once (DFS no blood) but still finding my blade preferance for the slant. I shave every day, sometimes twice, I get no blood, none. I taught myself to "ride the cap" so to speak from day one. To really describe my way is to float the cap because I try to use no pressure, none.
    The reason I like a so called agresive razor is the blade lasts longer, finer shave, no rash, and so fourth, a slant even better, so far. I ordered a Phoenix Bakelite open comb slant to try in a few weeks after the 41 run. My face is looking and feeling better than it has in years, so I'm all in.
    Anyway, I'm new, green, a babe in the woods and using so called agressive tools but getting great results.
    I am very careful how I hold my razor. It takes me longer than most to do the job but I find I am getting faster, even from just a week ago.
    Practice, practice, practice...
    In my humble opinion it's the Technique, Technique, Technique.
    But I'm new at this.

Live well, eat well and shave well my friend.
    tp

Edison Carter and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I think I can explain how "I" ride the cap so to speak.
    I kinda ballance the razor using two fingers to hold it using a third for control if needed. I find that I ride up higher on the handle on a heavy razor and hold it lower on a lighter one.
    I am more than halfway up on the handle on my RR 37 slant with a bulldog handle but much lower on the Phoenix bakelite open comb. Then I adjust the angle and begin. Using just enough pressure to glide the razor over the skin. I never let the weight of the razor control the amount of presure used. I ballance the razor, set tilt, move it to the area to be shaved, adjust angle accordingly then stroke. This just kinda happened as I found the sweet spot (angle) for each unit used. Its so automatic now I had to stop and think about it to see just what I'm doing. So no matter what razor I grab, I always find the ballance point, then move my fingers to set the tilt or preasure, this makes all razors the same no matter the weight.
    So if the presure used is now controled and the same fore each unit, the only adjustment is angle. Now I have to concentrate on only one thing during the stroke, angle. I always start with the handle slightly higher than needed then adjust, hold the angle, stroke, stroke, stroke, move lower, then angle, stroke, stroke.......
    After reading it over before hitting post,
    seems over the top or off the cliff to me too.
    But thats the way it plays out.
    tp

brit likes this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Bump

brit likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

AAAAND THEY'RE OFF.....Hey Two Lumps and a Biscuit, didja hear me?

brit likes this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Another bump to the top.

brit and RyX like this.