$4.00 Otto Deutsch Hans???? (W&B)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Dec 20, 2017.

1. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have one of those. They are everything you would expect. It is a shame the blade etch is so far gone, but at this point it looks waaaaay better. As soon as the bevel is set you are away to the races. I have a personal preference to bone scales, but everyone of those I have seen were in horn scales. An idea for that one might be to create an artificial patina to make the steel look old and grey once the rust is taken care of.
    Nice work.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was just thinking that. I have some honey horn blanks, but I don't think I will waste the honey horn on this blade. It's probably going to look rustic, when finished.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  3. DaltonGang

I was thinking more natural.

Haaa, I don't think I need an artificial patina. It's already got a head start in that department.

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Spalted Maple?
    [​IMG]

5. pierpiotr

pierpiotr New Member

Hello,
    I'm arriving late in the thread but you might find explanations on the web about electrolyse, to restore rusty items.

Billyfergie, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I've done that, many times with restorations on tools and antique guns, that were hopelessly rusted. This razor looks bad, but not bad enough to use reverse electrolysis. Good thinking though.
    I'm using Vap-o-Rust, at the moment, on this blade. It's a little gentler on the blade, and less chance to screw things up.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Well, after some sanding and polishing, I think you were on the right track. The natural personal was too spotty, so, I decided to give it a hot vinegar bath. It's starting to form a nice dull finish. .I'm going to rescale it in some natural horn, that @Spyder turned me on to.
    https://www.fendrihan.com/products/fendrihan-natural-horn-straight-razor-handle

I'll post some pics when I'm finished with the vinegar bath.

8. DaltonGang

Btw, the Vapo-Rust worked great. I had some very deep rust pitting that the Vapo-Rust took care of. The sandpaper and wire brushes weren't doing the trick, and the rust was deep.

9. DaltonGang

Here are some picks, after the sanding and polishing. This is when I decided to do the Vapo-Rust.
    My vinegar is only 5%, so I have to keep heating it up, and it's still in the solution.

Before Vinegar Patina:

PC221429.JPG

PC221433.JPG

Enrico, Jim99, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

I just finished the Patina. The Vinegar was brought to an almost boil, and the cleaned up blade was left in, for a few hours. I stopped and just lightly sanded with 320 grit W/D paper.
    There wasn't much choice, aesthetically, because the pitting was so severe in places, and untouched in others. It looked odd. So, here it is, flame me if you like, but I think it has the potential for a nice "Rat Razor" look. There is plenty of meat on the edge, so I'm not concerned about a bevel yet. Next question. Nice shiny horn scales, or, some ratted out scales to match??

WB 4a.JPG

WB 4b.JPG

mrchick, Enrico, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Maybe some black horn scales would look nice.

DaltonGang, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  12. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Black horn scales, with a matte finish. After you have sanded them smooth to 600 grit wet, then hit them with some 0000 steel wool. If I could figure out how to make them look older I would suggest that, but the matte finish is the best I have done.

mrchick, TestDepth, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Evaporust is amazing stuff. I was about to say I'll trade you a project but I can see you already dove in with this one.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jim99, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about you and restorations when I was sorting through 20 loose straights in a box at an Antique store.

joamo, TestDepth, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Juuust doooo it!!!

Billyfergie, joamo and Spyder like this.
  16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Boker Pearl which looks better than the pictures but had some deep scratches on the blade. The pearl tang was sweet though.[​IMG]

RezDog, JohnDB, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.