$500 to a great brush for $14 bucks, why, enlighten me, just can't justify large dollars for a brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by pundi64, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

:transport022:Thread Derailment!

I once owned two Martin D-18 Authentic 1937's in Sunburst. Who the heck needs two D-18A37's?!? In sunburst?!? These babies are pricey.

Maybe you can tell them apart. Ignore the dates on the photos, that thing was never set...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spoiler Alert: One was a dud. The other was a cannon.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    PLANofMAN, Redrock and Robyflexx like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

maybe the dud was a 14 dollar replica of the genuine article?

edited in the 14, I thought it was eighteen at first.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Redrock and Robyflexx like this.
  4. entropy1049

If it was, someone made one heck of a profit :D

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. david of central florida

What really drives the boat, what if someone picked up the so called dud, and claimed it perfection?
    the point being there are different strokes for different folks.
    it ain't right to look into your neighbor's freezer.
    never rub another man's rhubarb.
    one of them fits.

Redrock likes this.
  6. entropy1049

Then I would have been happy to sell it to them at the purchase price :)

Redrock likes this.
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

This thread certainly has had an interesting ebb and flow. My view is that folks can spend what they want to spend on any shaving product on the market.

With this said, a personal note. The biggest disappointment in purchasing a brush is when I picked up a The Shave Nook 3rd Anniversary Paladin PK-47. It has a hand packed Blonde Badger knot which I have not been able to care for after using many times. It is the most expensive brush purchased but the least liked. I simply do not like the knot. I have not used this brush in several months. On the positive side, the handle is beautiful to say the least. It looks like Butterscotch you could eat. There are folks that love this brush and there are folks who do not care for this brush. I fall on the do not care for side

The brush cost $180.00. However, I have a less than $20.00 Semogue 1305 that I like better than this brush. As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I reckon it may be said liking a brush is in the eye of the purchaser.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that price does not necessairly equal satisfaction in all cases. One man's trash is another man's treasure. So what do you do? Get as much info as you can on the product, make the decision, and make the purchase. We all have situations where we wish we could do a "do over". Some are more expensive than others. :o

PK47.JPG

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I wish I had a spare chunk of change to throw your way. I've always loved the look of that brush. :)

Redrock likes this.
  9. david of central florida

this thread appears to have backfired on me.
    guess I should have kept my mouth closed.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    entropy1049, Robyflexx and Redrock like this.
  10. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Hear hear.

clint64, Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Counting the one in the way, I will have three vintage brushes, two hand turned wood brushes, and a hand turned and monogrammed aluminium brush. As the handles have gotten larger, the knots have gotten more expensive as well, but I don't mind paying for craftsmanship. My first brush was a hand turned tulip wood brush with a matching soap bowl. I paid for the craftsmanship and knew nothing of the knot. What I am willing to pay for isn't the same as other people. It's my experience when I shave, so it's different than what other people like.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll take the vintage Martin D-18 over any brush every day of the week, and twice on Tuesdays….:D

entropy1049, Robyflexx and Drygulch like this.
  13. david of central florida

I like my collection of brushes mostly made by my friends here on this forum. it provides me with a connection that I like. sometimes I pray for the makers and think fondly if the time I've spent chatting here.
    @Ceferguson
    @Tdmsu
    @Jayaruh
    @oscar11
    @GDCarrington
    @clint64
    @Drygulch for making my strop.
    same as razors I've bought or traded with or from. thank you all.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Ceferguson, Tdmsu, JR Reyes and 2 others like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I share this same sentiment with my @Jayaruh #12 and Jim is one heck of a good guy. :happy088: