7 O'clock Roundup

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by burningdarkness, Jan 7, 2009.

1. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Maybe I should have sent a disclaimer with all these blades?

Sorry guys, hope you don't do any permanent damage to those million dollar faces of yours.

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

It ain't your fault Bong. You didn't make the things.

Did you!!!???

3. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Those Astras are on their way to you, Sheppy. Methinks you'll like them.

Oh no! My face is only worth half a million now!!!

Shhh, Shep. Don't sell him out.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Shaved today with my 2nd black blade, first shave on it.

Phenomenal.

I'm liking these so much, I'm thinking of making these my official 'go to' blade. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a yellow again, but I'm not sure how well it will stack up. Of course, I also just picked up some Treet SE blades from the Rite Aid, so maybe tomorrow will be a GEMlican day. :D

Greens are right out, I'm thinking of getting rid of them.

5. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

See... and I thought that the yellows were right out. I'll definitely go back and try them out again after my initial testing. burnWood.

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

yup.

for me, and me only, in ranking order:

1. Black = sharpest, smooth
    2. Yellow = 2nd sharpest, smoothest
    3. Green = dullest, roughest

those are only comparing them against each other, not taking any other blade into account. And it's a close call as far as smoothness goes between yellow and black. I'll have to revisit the yellow for another determination.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

For me at least both the yellow and green gave a decent first shave. It was shave two that had me suffering. I'll try the black next.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Copied from my SOTD entry:

I'm still maintaining that the blacks are sharper, however, my last yellow must have been a dud, because the one today seemed sharper than I recall. It was close, but I think the blacks are sharper. The yellows definitely win out on smoothness though. But the blacks are still much smoother than a Feather, and the greens, too. Both of the blades were brand new out of the wrapper.

Let me tell you, it's a PITA shaving one side, then changing the blade, shaving the other side. Change the blade, rinse, relather, shave right side, change blade, etc, etc...

9. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Shaved with a Green Permasharp in a Gillette Old with Tabac soap today.

Didn't even complete the shave. I switched to a Feather in my HD.

Will try the black tomorrow.

10. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

that's why you need 2 identical razors. ;)

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Good call!

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

First shave w/ a black tonight. A most excellent shave if I do say so. Still need to see how shave two performs, but this was the best first shave I've gotten from any of the 7 o'clocks. In fact this is one of the best first shaves I've received from any blade. I'm now cautiously optimistic folks.

Just in case they end up working where are you buying them and for how much? Thanks.

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I've found them on razor and brush, although I haven't ordered them yet. Mine came free with the greens I bought here at TSD, one blade per pack. I do want to order some though. If you find them elsewhere, let me know...

I tried an Astra Superior today, and I think it gives the blacks a run for their money...

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Dom just sent me a pack of those. I'll be giving them a go next.

15. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Been shaving with Feathers lately as I've been needing good shaves and wanted to test out some new creams/soaps.

Will update again when I use the blacks.

16. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I find those Astras to be pretty nice. Let us know further thoughts on them, gents.

17. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Third shave w/ a black tonight, and I must say I'm impressed. No skipping or dragging. I did end up w/ two minor nicks, but that was more a pressure issue. A very smooth shave. I'm going to give it an unprecedented fourth shave on Thursday.

I do have to admit one change to my procedure however. I have started stropping my DE blades after each use, and I think that helps extend blade life. Even without that though I could still tell this blade is one of better I've come across. And now the TSD store is carrying them.

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Shep, I routinely get 6-7 shaves from a 7 O'Clock. I only got 2-3 from others like Derbies, Astras, crystals...

19. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Well I've been updating this thread w/ my experiences so I may as well finish it off. Shave #4 w/ the black went down tonight. I would call it a passable shave. Between fair and good. Took a lot of buffing and there is still some minor stubble left over. The AS burned a bit more tonight, but no real irritation to speak of. If I had to I could go 4 shaves w/ this blade and feel ok about it. Which is fantastic. I've been looking for a blade that will give me 3 great shaves. This one will do. I've got a few more to try yet, but the 7'o black is now on my short list.

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

word

does that make us black brothers?