8k Dmt stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Michael Shults, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hello,
    New fellow here - I have been shaving with a straight razor since 2016, and have been honing with synthetic stones for almost a year. I am just starting honing with a Jnat. A buddy (steve56) sent me a Jnat and a matching tomo to try my hand at honing with these stones . Right off the bat this particular kind of stone takes lots of patience. Lol - I got frustrated a time or two, but I refuse to give up. I have a benchmark set to go by that I hope to get to one day. Steve honed up my R-Aust razor and man its sharp and smoooth - that seems like a hard feat to have both of both worlds - usually one only gets either sharp or smooth, not both but I guess that's what makes jnats shine - although it takes skilled hands also.

I hone up to 5k synthetic, then I use a worn diamond card to generate slurry, then I rinse and generate a new slurry with my tomo, and last I hone with clear water only. My results are pretty decent, but I'm still lacking a bit of keenness. The 3rd razor I honed I actually did better stopping at 5k synthetic, but first two I honed all the way up to synthetic 12k then went to Jnat. I guess I just got really lucky! I will try next time I hone to hone under running water as Steve suggested. I believe though the whole art of these jnats is getting the most out of each slurry - that has been my struggle to know how and when I am done with a particular slurry. The tomo can take a min and a half just to generate a thin slurry. I know the falt is not in the stone - its in me the user. These jnats will keep a fellow humble!! I thought about trying komo after I get off my training wheels later on. For now though I though about buying a 8k Dmt (aligner "4×1" replacement) stone to generate a fine slurry before going to tomo. So has anyone used the 8k Dmt as a DN to generate slurry? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I’m not a Jnat user. I am an avid loupe user. I feel that if I use a loupe and ensure my bevel is correctly set, then still using my loupe ensure that I have gotten every thing I can most of every step in my progression, and It is all very repeatable. Are you using a loupe?

Keithmax and Michael Shults like this.
  3. Yes I am using a 10x loupe. When I check bevel set I go by thumb pad test - the edge it feels sticky/grabby sharp along the entire length of the blade.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Ok. As long as you have calibrated you thump pad test it is effective and a lot of people honing use that system. I look almost straight down on the edge with the loupe and a bright lite to see my apex. As long as there are no white lines or white spots or sparkles, it is time to monitor the scratch pattern on the side of the bevel and progress through honing.

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

On my two stones, a Coticule and Thuringian, I go from slurry to clear when touching up and only using x strokes. When honing from bevel to shave ready, I do some initial circles ending on x strokes. The end of both stone use is under a small stream of water, maybe 50 light strokes, whether it's an initial hone or touch up. I'm not sure who first suggested holding the stone and under water, a video I think, but it is the most enjoyable and so far sets me up for the final process of .5, .3, and 200k diamond pasted balsa. This produced both sharp and smooth. I call this result either near or same as shavette.

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The 8k might gum up I am not sure

I personally use a well worn 325 if I was going to replace it I would buy a 600 FOR SLURRY GENERATION I am not suggesting it for any other use

Slurry Breakdown and use is a learned skill but here are some tricks

The Japanese Honing stroke and pressure shift is actually designed to help break it down
    Don't dilute while honing or rinse the slurry when done, leave it on the stone, use it to help generate new slurry
    Try "Going to Dry" unlike many other stone your J-Nat MIGHT like that, just keep doing the super light finishing strokes and slowly let the slurry dry on the stone, Really it is more damp then totally dry :)

"There is Magic in the Mud, learn to use the slurry"

Edison Carter likes this.