A brush is a brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rickboone, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

I found that commissioning Tony at The Golden Nib/Penworks to build a custom brush is pretty good value for money.

He helped me make a brush with a nice Grade A silvertip knot for less than the cost of a Rooney 3/1. The Grade A knot is great for creams, but it's a little soft to use for the hard soaps.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ahhhh, I must to send you one! ;)

3. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

Not just a brush

A brush is not just a brush. It is an extesion of yourself. I have three brushes, each has its own personality. My badger brushes are less thristy; while the boar hair brush requires more water to work up a good lather. Do you have the same experience, I wonder. :cool:

4. BobinCA

BobinCA New Member

Boar vs. Badger

According to Zach....

Badger hair holds water, Boar hairs absorb water.
    Then it depends on whether or not you are using soaps, or cremes.
    The Soap technique for Boar was illustrated remarkably well in a u-tube demo by Zach. Just let the brush soak while you are showering and then take it out of the water, but dont shake it, it kinda automatically holds the correct amount of water. With Badger, you can wet it, shake it out, and continue to add water as you need it.
    Regards,
    Bob

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Boar brushes may be good, however I cannot use one. The reason why is, I am of the Jewish faith, and boar is a pig, yes? So, anything pig is forbidden to us. The Gorey's Chairman is made from 100% Hallal bristles in Pakistan, or India, so it is permitted to Jewish or Muslim men.

6. ribbs

ribbs New Member

I got a tweezerman badger brush. I assume it's good for me cuz I'm just starting. I'll treat myself later on with a silvertip for sure.

7. stagger

stagger New Member

I have one of the 12.99 ebay pure badger brushes and it works great. No need to pay big $$ for anything else. After all.....it's just for putting lather on your face. JMHO

8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Someone already mentioned the Vulfix 404 (Grosvenor). I had the same brush in pure badger (it comes in a blend, too) and I used it for several years. My son is using it now. I'm not sure what they cost now, but I remember it being fairly inexpensive at the time.

The Vulfix boar brushes are highly regarded as well and inexpensive. I've never tried one myself.

9. stagger

stagger New Member

Well, my 12.99 ebay brush did work great until I posted here on the 15th. Since then it has been casting hair like it has the mange. Time to upgrade to a Semogue 1305.

10. USNCPO

USNCPO New Member

Definitely something to think about!!

I got my DE starter kit (came with a brush) and am still relatively new to the DE shaving scene. Just working on the basics right now. Once my skill level increases and I become more confident in my abilities, I'll definitely look into other style/types of brushes just to branch out. Thanx for all the great info!!

Nick