A Dagger by Jim Whitehead

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Bill, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Normally I don't double post from forum to forum, but I had to share this one over here too for those that don't frequent some of the other places.

When I finished installing the safe door in my closet, I had to round up everything that I didn't want stolen in case of a break in and lock it down. I ran across a dagger Jim Whitehead made for my wife that I had stuffed in a shoebox in my garage. She likes knives too in addition to shotguns. I keep telling her that it should really be mine, but she doesn't buy it.

It took Jim a couple hundred hours and 2 years to finish up because his backlog is longer than even mine. It is the most valuable knife that I (we)... my wife has.

The dagger is amazing. 01 steel for the blade, gold guard, gold spacer material in the handle, and a gold pommel. I'm not sure what carat. There is a blue sapphire at the end of the pommel. The handle is fluted ivory. Jim is one of the best engravers in the country and the detail in this dagger is amazing.

Attached Files:

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

You had THAT in a shoebox........
    in your garage........ :eek:

Really ?
    :signs002

:rolleyes005
    ....it is beautiul, Bill ;)

3. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

that would look great above a fire place...

4. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

The detail and intricacy is lovely

5. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Has to be one of the most beautiful pieces I've seen. Amazing work!

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Ohhh.. very nice!

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Fantastic! Thanks for letting us see it! :cool:

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Very nice!

:thanks for sharing it with us.

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Very nice bill. How large is it?

10. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I guess I did forget to mention that it's not very big...

The sheath is sterling silver and engraved on both sides as well. A little different for a necklace for sure.

Attached Files:

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

WOW!!! So much for "over the fireplace"! :rofl

Even more impressive given it's size. Fantastic detail!!!

12. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

That is fantastic work! I can only imagine the amount of time and precision it took to make. :signs107

Many people hold the belief that everything European is innately better than American. But the more I see stuff on the forums - from straight razors to knives, from shaving brushes to fountain pens - it's safe to say we Americans hold our own. :cool:

13. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Much smaller than I expected, but still, it's some amazing work. The smaller scale makes it even more impressive.

14. goatshaver

goatshaver New Member

It's even more impressive being as small as it is, but the real question is, What the hell is that doing in a shoe box in the garage?:eek:

15. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Because my safe wasn't completed yet. Most of the time it's safer to put things in plain sight than to "put them under the bed". Besides, the shoebox was next to the milk crate that had at least a dozen of my handguns in it so who would bother with a bunch of knives when there are guns available?

They are all safe now, though. Nice and snug behind a quarter inch of steel.

16. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

:mad::mad: They use the same trickery on the eBay ! I fall for it everytime..:happy102

I hate Macro Lenses ! :mad: