A few basic questions about brushes...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MikekiM, Aug 4, 2010.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I want to make sure I am using the correct terminology...

The "Knot" refers to the entire brush head...

And the "plug" is the resin/epoxy section at the bottom of the brush head that gets glued into to handle... And the diameter of the plug is usually expressed in mm's, though it isn't necessarily exact measurements.

When looking at specs for a brush, the total height is self explanatory, as is the handle height..

"Loft" is the height of the brush measured from the top of the handle to the top of the brush?

So if I purchase a 65mm height in a given diameter, this includes the plug, yes? Which leads me to the term "set at" which would be the actual loft... the total height of the bristles, less the amount of plug set in the handle.

IE.. a 24mm x 65mm knot set at 50mm would be a 24mm diameter on the plug, with 15mm of the plug set into the handle and 50mm of the bristles exposed.

Is this correct?

I know I have seen the schematic with the dimensions.. not sure if it includes the terms as well.

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

pretty much, generally speaking. there may be differences in the way individual brush makers describe theirs, but that is as accurate as I think you can be

3. MikekiM

Awesome...

So if I want a 24mm knot set at 50mm loft, and I can only find a 24mm x 65mm, I have be sure the handle can accept at least 15mm.

got it.. thanks!!

4. rudyvey

rudyvey Member

I just got in some short loft silvertip knots in 24 mm, they are available, but very hard to find.

5. MikekiM

Rudy, thanks.. I have an older acrylic Hoffritz brush that has some sentimental value.. But it's screaming for a nice silvertip. The knot is a Pure set at 65-68 mm and it's a bit too floppy for me..but I think it's a 21mm. I have plenty of woodworking experience (turned pens, made custom humidors and pen boxes) but rarely worked in acrylic so I am not sure about making the hole larger..

And not sure if it's worth sending it out to be modified. Maybe something we should discuss.

That said, I see a few nice handles on your website... and my wallet is starting to get hot.. I'll reach out if I see something that tickles me!!

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Can't add anything just wanted to say I got a Hoffritz Pure badger brush, white handle, reading Made in Austria, when I bought a Hoffritz straight razor on ebay. That pure badger brush had hardly been used and was incredibly soft and nice size knot. Unfortunately, I am assuming the brush was 30 or 40 years old so it shed quite a bit, had to reknot.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

If the hole opening is 20/21mm don't expect to get anything bigger than an 18mm in it without some modification to the handle.

I don't see why with your experience you couldn't open up the handle yourself, unless its really brittle acrylic.

8. MikekiM

Is this because of the glue or is the variance on the plug size that great?

Sounds like if I plan to turn my own handle, I had better have the knot on hand so I can measure the plug before drilling.

A picture of the Hoffritz brush might help.. It's clear acrylic. The interior of the hole for the plug appears to be painted black for aesthetic reasons. Not sure how much is actual hole and how much is paint. There is a chrome plated ring around the collar (thank you.. I now know what a collar is!!) I am leery of tearing into it. I have Forstner bits and a drill press, so I think I could center it and drill the flat bottom hole, and fortunately the handle is square so it should be easy to center it..

As noted, I have get the knot first so I see what I am dealing with as far as plug size.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its the actual plug itself, the resin or whatever they use to hold the hairs in place is usually wider than the actual diameter of the hairs.

I was lucky enough when doing my restore to be able to stop by and have Tony rummage through boxes of his knots till I finally gave up and went with the 18mm...

I really was hoping for a 20mm knot to match the hole, but drilling out bakelite without a drill press is a pain in the, well yeah...

As for the "Collar" :happy102 I have seen people pull them off of Klenzo brushes, it didn't look easy though.

You have the tools, you should be fine, its just gonna take some guts!

10. MikekiM

So.. you're saying.. tuck my head in my %@* and pray... ?

Tools, I have.. Guts...maybe not as much, but I'll give it try and will take lots of pictures.