A few more shaves under my razor

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by BIllyBowlegs, Jan 7, 2014.

1. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Hello from Florida everybody,
    Well its been roughly a week since my first DE shave, and I have shaved twice since. I am starting to develop a better feel for the razor (58 SuperSpeed) and am still sticking with my first blade (7oclock). The recent shaves have been closer and while I have still had trouble not nicking my neck, the overall irritation has lessened. I think I have mapped out the neck relatively accurately, but there are a few areas that don't seem to enjoy any ATG. Is it a problem that i do get minor cuts (small dots),? They stop after applying Alum, although it is a bit uncomfortable. I have always gotten them even with cartridge style, but I am avoiding ingrown hairs with a DE...so far. While shaving ATG on my neck I notice that I get these little white dots? I am thinking it is the razor pulling up skin or something? I get them in areas where I am not bleeding as well. Not sure what is going on exactly. Thanks for any input. Overall everything has been good, don't plan on stopping. And I may have already found the superspeed a Schick friend to chill next to ;)

Best Regards,
    GB

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

After only a week, it sounds as if you're getting the hang of it. The more you use the DE razor, the easier it will become. Not everyone who shaves with a double-edge razor shave ATG. Some of use get close, comfortable shaves without having to go ATG at all. In my wet shaving experience, the biggest cause for majority of my skin irritation, weepers and nicks has been from trying to continually go against the grain on the third pass. I determined then to NOT to continue to literally go 'against the grain' as my face was not enjoying the experience. I get by now quite nicely the majority of the time now with a 2-pass shave. I also use a more aggressive razor—which is probably not the recommended razor route for beginners, but these razors tend to be very efficient and make third pass often unnecessary.

Do allow time for any irritated skin to heal. You'll find the experience much more enjoyable if you're not inflaming the tender skin by attacking it too soon.

3. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to The Shave Den! I would try a pre-shave oil and see if that lessens the nicks.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1

5. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Any cheap beginning recommendations for a pre oil? I know there are a ton of options.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Search pre-shave oil in the search bar here on the den. You'll find an easy to make recipe. It's very effective.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Here's a TSD How-To ---> *click*

BigT likes this.