A few soaps, a few thoughts

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by mvd, Jan 13, 2019.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I tried a couple of new soaps this weekend since a few of my others are almost used up. The results were mixed.

SV Felce Aromatica: much more of a cologne or perfume type scent than I expected. I'm not super keen on the scent but it faded during the shave and doesn't linger.

I have moved from bowl lathering to 90% face lathering. I was able to use a vintage Simms brush with an APShaveco 24mm tuxedo knot to rinse, load, and face lather without any issues. Needs a touch more water then a few of my other soaps. Good lather. Good protection. Good post-shave. This soap makes me feel like maybe animal products could be banned from all soap without sacrificing performance.

B&M Reserve Classic. Much more in my preferred scent range than SV. Overall though, this first use was a huge disappointment. I was unable to simply rinse the brush, load the brush, face lather. When I tried, I got a dry, thick, gluey mess. More water needed! So I added more water and quite quickly went to a goopy watery mess. The shave was fine and hair was removed from my face, but it left me feeling raw and balm was a must.

Clearly this soap is better than my first experience suggests given its rave reviews, and I will dial it in with use, but this is kinda a negative for me. I guess I am not super interested in dialing in a soap or working to get it right--I want immediate ease of use.

With the other B&M products that I have pictured like Latha, Leviathan, and Bay Rum, I can rinse, load, face lather with ease. I don't know which base these are.

So, for me, Reserve is a bit of a step back.

T&S, and Stirling also required no "dial-in" for me, so I don't know that I will continue with B&M unless future use changes my mind.

Best consistent performer in my stable: T&S with B&M Bay Rum as a second.

Best post shave in my stable: tie between T&S, Stirling, and SV.

Best Scents: Stirling (various) with B&M Taiga and Leviathan in second.

Anyhow, as for my two new soaps, I am sure that B&M Reserve will improve with practice--I just resent having to practice lol.

SV is great, but the scent profile will likley lead me to look for a veggie soap closer to a scent I really love, and something less expensive. I just wanted to try something high end and triple milled--aka something quite different from anything I have tried before.

Frankly, if T&S could produce scents like Stirling or B&M without changing their performance, that would be the magic ticket for me.

So...the search will continue once the B&M Reserve and SV are used up.

Happy Shaves![​IMG]

oscar11, Frijolero, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Always glad to read reviews of soaps I have not tried.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mvd, RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

These thoughts "enable" me to try doing this sometime. Probably not in a similar format, but it's wise to "come to grips" with our shaving miscellaneous ponderings. Nice job.

mvd likes this.