A Friendly Reminder

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Queen of Blades, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    TSD has always been different than other online communities. Friendly, warm, and welcoming.

I have noticed something recently that is not TSD's style; rudeness.

If you can't be bothered to answer someone's post politely, perhaps you should not answer their post.

I'll also ask for help with this situation. I can not read every post, every thread. If you enjoy the warm, friendly, helpful atmosphere of TSD, please report any rudeness you see.

ischiapp, Glondus, Hembree and 17 others like this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Forum Rules

Staff Decisions
    1. Staff decisions are final. Ultimately, staff has complete discretion over what is and is not acceptable on the site.

Discussion of Decisions
    2. Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision, please take it up in private with the administrator.

The Golden Rule
    3. All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. All members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the community. Do not attempt to disrupt the community in any way.

No Trolling
    4. No "Trolling". Do not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this board. Don't create pointless threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. This also includes messages in profiles and signatures.

No Spamming
    5. Don't Spam. Joining the forum for the sole purpose of hawking your wares is prohibited. Making posts for the sole purpose of increasing your post count will also be considered spamming.

No Offensive Material
    6. Please do not make posts that are vulgar, obscene, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, racist, sexist, discriminatory, and/or otherwise violate of any local or international laws. This includes links in your signature, profile, posted images, photos and avatars. Yes, we have a couple sections that are more relaxed on this rule. The rules specific to that area are posted there. Staff will ultimately decide if something is appropriate or not.

Self Promotion
    7. If you're here for the purpose of promoting your whatever, consider being a productive member first. Places like this cost time and money to operate. We'd appreciate it if you didn't just show up to leech off the fruits of our labor.

Multiple Accounts
    8. One member having multiple accounts is not allowed, only one account per member.

3. Queen of Blades

We also have a neat feature; the Ignore Button

If you feel someone is too stupid, abrasive, annoying, what-have-you for your taste, do your stress levels a favor; Click that user's name and click the Ignore button.

4. Queen of Blades

NO POLITICS!!!

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Kind of funny how controversial topics seem to always turn to politics.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Bumping this because it works! No more trolls in my feed! Yay!

IAmTheJody, battle.munky and Hembree like this.
  7. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, I would hope that if I offended someone that they would bring it to my attention first so that I could make it right. No every offense is intentional. We have people here from different cultures and it is not possible to understand every social norm from everyplace in the world. Again, maybe give the other guy a chance to apologize before you get somebody banned. I would quote Scripture on this point but that would be bringing up Religion which could be offensive!

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hitting the ignore button does not equal a ban hammer, Brother. The ignore button just keeps the posts of a spammer out of your feed bag.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I treat the ignore button as a penalty box. If I ignore a person I wait a few weeks then un-ignore them ....... If they offend again then they get even longer time in the box.

And yes, I do let people know they've bothered me. I don't confuse grumpy with rude adolescent behavior ...... I can deal with grumpy.

:eatdrink047:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I must be from a different culture. I haven’t a clue what “trolls in my feed” means.
    Maybe I’ll go ask one of the neighbor kids...

Jim O, brit, Tedolph and 4 others like this.
  11. Tedolph

Have it your way.

Should you offend me I guess you will never know and never have the opportunity to apologize.

Hembree likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If I may, you are misunderstanding @stingraysrock 's post. He was simply explaining the function of the "ignore" button. For example, if you do not like my posts, you would click on my avatar; then click the "ignore" button on the popup. That will mean no more of my posts will appear to you. Just you.
    You can also reverse it in the exact same manner.

13. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

Hi Queen, thanks for posting this. I like to think I always follow the rules. This post is a good reminder to all of us, not just the problem members, to keep ourselves in line. It's a privilege to be a member on this forum, and we all must follow the rules. If folks don't like it, they can join a different forum, or create one themselves. I tried making a blog before, jeez it was hard. I can only imagine how time consuming it is to keep this place up and running. To all admins, moderators, site engineers, and my fellow members thank you!!! :)

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    We are Political Animals..We Can Speak..The Power of Speech is Political ..:yoda

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    brit and Enrico like this.
  15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I feel a bump reminder is needed... Let's all consider what we are saying before hitting that post button. Yes? :yoda

16. Tedolph

I really don't like the tone of this thread. It does not come across as a friendly reminder. It comes across as a veiled threats of banning. I think we all know that this is basically a social club and that we are not here to definitively establish whether straights are superior to double edge safeties. Rather than threatening each other with the "ignore" button or worse how about we reflect on our own consciences? When we read a post do we jump to conclusions? Do we assume that the intention of the other guy was hostile? Is there a positive interpretation? Do we remind ourselves that this medium is prone to mis-understanding? Do we recognize that from time to time everybody has a bad day and give the other guy a break? And finally, if we really have a problem with something someone said do we first take it to them in a private conversation before we hit "ignore" or file a "complaint"?

Are those not the gentlemanly things to do?

Just asking.

brit, Primotenore and Hembree like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Right-o.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If I may,
    This thread isn't a ban-threat. It's a reminder of the rules of decorum for this PRIVATE website. TSD is not Reddit; Twitter or anything else. It is a privately funded and run shave forum and therefore entitled to any set of rules the owner(s) deem(s) appropriate.
    I COMPLETELY agree with what you said above regarding the manner with which to address issues. I do the same, but to say that the "ignore" button is a threat is simply wrong. It's a tool; similar to a "block caller" app on your cell phone. With such a diverse group of people, it's understandable that we might encounter members, with whom we don't share the same ideals. It's not a punishment to "block" them, in fact, they will never know. I have used the tool and it is a terrific stress reducer.

macaronus, Droo78, gorgo2 and 6 others like this.
  19. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Every society whether online or in person, has a certain expectation of decorum and a set of rules. Vocal and tonal inflection is hard to discern online. Being a jerk isn't. Personally, if I am having a bad day, I will read but keep my finger away from the reply button. The fact is, there are just some people who do not play well with others. Eventually, they will grab up all of their toy trucks and stomp out of the sandbox and return to play later. A very few others need some assistance with their exit. 10 years ago, before my stroke, I was a walking Gillette encyclopedia and often found myself having to adjust my replies so as not to sound like a snobby jerk. There is a fine line between being knowledgeable and sharing that knowledge, and being an ass. I never, ever want anyone to feel belittled and less than. This thread is exactly a reminder that we should all strive for that - not just here online but everywhere.

Just saying. :eatdrink047:

macaronus, twhite, Silvestris and 5 others like this.
  20. Tedolph

We will agree to disagree. All I am saying is give the other guy the benefit of the doubt, and if necessary give the other guy a chance for redemption. I don't see anybody agreeing with that.