A Hand wave from Beaumont, TX, USA

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Jag, Dec 22, 2011.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Welcome to the Den.

3. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Welcome to the Shave Den! We are glad you are here!

4. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to The Shave Den!

5. Jag

Jag Member

Thanks, everyone! A kind welcome indeed. I figure I should show the little kit I bought that started my foray. Please understand, I picked as carefully as I could -- I knew not to spend too little, but I couldn't spend a lot. I recently moved from San Antonio to Beaumont after leaving (under difficult circumstances) my job, and had no more than $50 to use to get myself started because I'd spend that much on cartridges trying to get a fresh shave for interviews. I purchased this little set, used a chipped coffee mug for my soap, did some research, and started carving. Without further ado, my on-the-cheap shave gear:

Attached Files:

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Most of us started with a minimal kit, some for financial reasons and, some because we needed to know whether we would stick with it.
    It is a good kit. I have my first DE kit with one exception (An aluminum Weishi, a Burma Shave brush, Coffee Mug, but the Williams soap was completely used up).
    Enjoy this kit and remember that when you have the good fortune to get better gear, keep this kit as a reminder.

7. Jag

Jag Member

I'll always remember where I came from, that's something I've never had a problem with. I enjoy it, but fortunately I'm now aware that I need something a bit less aggressive and a softer brush... and different soap. HOWEVER, those are luxuries. You think I picked well here?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. Because when I got started I was in no better shape knowledge wise than you. This is a good starter kit. I will give you the same secret that someone gave me when I switched to wet shaving.

I call it the 30 day rule. Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your face (that may take a few different blades to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

Stick with the razor and don't change it for much more than 30 days.
    Blades are easier to come by at a reasonable price. If you need to try something else we have an inexpensive sampler pack in our store that has 33 blades with 3 of each type. This is a far better alternative to expensive sampler packs.
    Soap, you can get the VDH at Amazon at a very reasonable price. VDH can also be found at some Walgreens and CVS pharmacies.

The most critical thing for you is technique and patience. That is entirely in your control.

Take care and enjoy your shaves.

9. Jag

Jag Member

I'm going to get that sampler pack, I read a lot of good things about Feather and Voskhod especially, but I'm willing to give any a try to see how they run on my whiskers. I will certainly try the VDH, maybe it's at my local drugstores here -- the Classic I'm fairly sure isn't going to make the grade.
    That's a great technique, really - it ensures that you understand what is causing a better or worse shave, and the only downside is it may take a good while to understand what works best. I've had this kit for about 3 months now, so I think I can start something new and see where it takes me. Thank you for all your advice!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good fortune and let us know how it is turning out. Don't worry about asking more questions. We are here to help!

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup!