A new shop opened near me

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Reformation Student, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I just found out that a new "old fashioned barbershop and spa" opened near where I live. I went by it today but didn't stop in. Some of the services offered are haircuts, straight razor shaves and shoe shining/repair. Those used to be done in barbershops of old from what I understand. This place also offers spa services such as different types of massages and facials and manicures.

The price for a shave doesn't seem to bad. For $28USD you get hot towels, preshave oil, lather, straight shave and facial massage plus complimentary beverage service.

Although I won't let anyone but my current barber cut my hair, I might have to try the shave service at this place someday. They also mention being the exclusive retailer in Rhode Island for some high end products from the US and Europe, though they don't say what those are.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Interesting.. I am curious if the straight shaves are REAL straights or disposable shaves. I would also be curious to see what they carry in terms of products.

Let us know!

3. Reformation Student

If I was a betting man, I'd say that it's a disposable blade straight. I know Massachusetts requires barbers to use a new blade on each customer and I'm pretty sure Rhode Island does too (I think a barber I used to go to told me this a while back).

It will be a while before I go but I will report back on the shave and the products.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Let us know how they treat you

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Silly rules.. :pot

6. Reformation Student

I'd like to walk in with my razor and shock them. "Here, use this one", "um..that's like...a real one <gulp>"

7. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I think WOKNBLUES or the member who is in the phillipines does that at his barber. He has a drawer that he keeps a razor, brush and some soap so the barber can use all his own personal stuff on him..

8. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

What town is the shop in? I get down that way quite a bit on business and may need to check it out. Thanks.

9. Reformation Student

Cranston, RI. It called Gents Barbershop and Spa and it's located in the new Chapel View development.

10. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Very nice find, welldone.
    I think this whole bacteria mania has come since the Aids virus and such that these rules have come about. so I dont know in the old days who clean would the blade be ? Barbacide ? or 99% alcohol to rub of the previous customers contact. I dont know I think its pretty safe as long you dont cut

11. Reformation Student

I believe you're right. I watched a clip from a movie (this one I believe - http://www.tidewriter.com/productions_barberland-details.htm) and the barber mentioned that once AIDS became prevalent, barber shaves basically stopped.

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Disposable blade or not, it's nice to see barbers adopting the traditional shave. There's two that I know of in my area, my barber and The Good Life downtown which uses Hydrolast with all her straight shaves. I haven't had a barbershop shave in awhile, but it a nice relaxing experience.

13. Reformation Student

My barber wants to start offering them once he finds a replacement headrest for his chair. He's one of those guys who hates to see the demise of the traditional barbershop and the rise of barber salons. He tries very hard to keep an atmosphere of the old time shop (like Floyd on the Andy Griffith (sp) show). I do notice that there seems to be a resurgence in the traditional barber shop. Hopefully, it continues to grow.