A quick note from one newbie to another....

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by MikekiM, May 19, 2013.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I am no stranger to wet shaving, I've been shaving for years with a DE and all sorts of SE's.. As a kid, there always straights around the house as my dad was a collector and appraiser of anything with an edge..

I took to straight razors a few months ago, starting with a Feather non-folding razor, a few shavettes and finally traditional straights. My first was a nicely restored Henry Sears & Sons 7/8 faux frame back.. The restorer claimed it to be shave ready and it was, indeed the sharpest edge in the house.

The edge was in great condition, but I decided to send it off to be honed by pro none-the-less.

As we get started, we need a good frames of reference.. lots of them. How much water in my lather to keep it from drying down? How much pressure? How much angle to the blade? How sharp is the blade?

The Henry Sears & Son came back a few days ago. I scoped the edge and it was mirror-like. Gotta admit, I was a little scared so I did my first pass tentatively and with a very light pressure and here-in lies my message. Because the blade was fresh and coming from a known honer, I was exceptionally light-handed. I don't think I knew just how much pressure (or lack of) I should be using and with the combination of apprehension and ultra sharp edge I finally found it. Viola!

My point is two-fold... Whether or not you THINK your edge is sharp.. get it honed. Soon enough we'll be able to tell if it is in good order, but while we're new, take that variable out of the equation and get it honed. Splurge the $20. Second, when you read "very little pressure" it means VERY LITTLE PRESSURE!! It's almost like you are trying to scoop the lather from your skin without touching yourself with the blade. It's THAT light. It's a delicate balance between barely touching skin (counter-intuitive, I know) and confident forward motion so you don't stall.

Not sure if anyone will find this useful, but I thought worth sharing.

Jasman, vwp528, ins0ma and 7 others like this.
  2. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

That is the absolute best advice that anyone getting into straight razor shaving could get.

3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

My friend, you are no longer a newbie. Thank you for sharing your experience & insight :)

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great advice, thanks!

5. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

6. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will keep that in mind when I get the package from whipped dog.:signs107: