A Razor Query

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Joe C, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Joe C

Joe C New Member

I am soon to start making my own razors. I've been making knives for a few years, and it's about time, considering how much I love my straights. I almost have enough for my hollow grinder. :happy013 I have an opinion question, though. I plan on making the more traditionally shaped razors, but I've considered using folder pivots with Torx head screws, rather than pins, at least on some of them. What do you think, pins or screws?

2. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

:signs021

I love your idea of using screws! It would allow one to thoroughly clean their razor, and there's no reason why it wouldn't look as good as a traditional.

If you need a tester, sign me up!

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

good idea....

Joe...

They'll be good 'til you have all your customers saying to send them another one 'cause theirs just went down the sink. They won't realize the razor will need to come back to you for the fitting.

I've done several this way, myself, and I personally like it. But you and I can easily replace the screws or spacers. If you look at the background pic on my "Cream of the Crop" page, you will see that I did it on that razor.

Actually, I fixed up two different blades for the same set of scales, so the owner could put whatever blade he wanted on it.

4. DMS

DMS New Member

I've been seeing Torx screws in lieu of pins on some custom razors lately, and thought they were a good idea for the ease of adjusting tension. Maybe they'd need adjusting frequently though unless locktited.

Being able to take everything down for cleaning once in a while could be handy.

Maybe a remedy to the lost screws problem that Bill mentions could be to cut a couple extra screws during fitting/assembly and ship them with the razor.