A small guide to single edge blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HoosierTrooper, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Who Knows where its Been..When they Start to Melt Down Who Knows..It Might Not Get Any Worse..Dish Washing Soap Should be Fine..There is Loads of Schick Type Gs & Type Es with Melted Down Handles on EBay..For the Same Reason I May Add..:eek:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect that at least some of the Schick injectors had celluloid handles. When soaked, they soften up. They also discolour with heat. I have one showing those signs - I soaked it to clean it (it was already weird), and it _softened up_ under nothing but hot water. Once it was fully dry - hard as a rock again.

captnronfl likes this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

There is a guy on Facebook making handles for the injectors now. It's not quite a screw in installation, but he charges $45 to install a ferule to be able to attach a handle.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Billyfergie likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They look plain awkward to me. Settle down with an I2 or an F (the best handle designs IMO) if you can find one and call it a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Drygulch likes this.
  5. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Drygulch
    If you have a link I would like to check it out.
    I am not going to destroy my dad's razor but I might do a different one.

Well I got all my razor's and blades for now.
    The next faze is shaving with them.
    I got my handle that I wanted on the Gem 1912 to work so it's the first.
    I started a new thread on it here
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/se-woes.56445/
    I am off to try it out now with a old blade from the Core fiasco.
    It's been used twice so this makes the third work out for this blade.
    I did strop it twenty times on each side of the blade.
    This will let me know if my stropping technique works.
    Of course it will let me know if the Gem will work for me too.
    I will return... ROFLMAO... I crack myself up.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Curious if anyone has tried these zirconia ceramic with steel spine SE blades?
    1621137421449.png 1621137430329.png

Jorvaljr, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Never seen them before for sale. I'd definitely try one if I did. If the edge is good they should last longer than any standard shaving blade as long as the edge doesn't chip easily.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Keithmax likes this.
  8. IAmTheJody

I was thinking the same. Ceramic DE blades are pretty much an impossibility since most DE razors are designed to bend the blade to some degree. But SE razors like the GEMs, etc. and even injector razors could probably do well with ceramic blades, providing they are sharp enough to cut hair. Ceramic blades are used in medical settings where they have to cut real thin micro slices of organic matter.

I don't use an SE razor that takes this common SE type blade but it definitely has me intrigued. I may just go on and snag me a GEM razor and order the ceramic blades just to test it. 10 blades for $15 but if they are good for shaving and since they supposedly last 60 to 100 times longer than steel blades, that's a bargain price I believe.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have a link to where you can buy them from?

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Tedolph, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  12. IAmTheJody

Curious what in the specs tells you that, so I will know for future reference?

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Billyfergie

:signs011:..Thyose Blades are Not for Shaving..Common Knowledge Among SE Folks..:)

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They are made as box cutter blades for starters which means they will not be sharp enough shaving. If they were for medical then maybe. They don't claim to have 3 facet cut either which is what all shaving blades have for single edge blades.

Tedolph, IAmTheJody and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Billyfergie

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

If you never got your dads razor handle fixed since your post there is now a 3d printable replacement handle you can make that is a simple and safe replacement option..

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I was looking over Tom's original post on the first page, and just wanted to mention to anyone thinking of buying the Feather blades for an AutoStrop razor that the ones on the left (carbon steel I think) were terrible for me, but the stainless ones on the right are great! Only problem with the stainless ones is that they only give about 5 -7 good shaves and then are too dull to use further.

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Aye..Those Feather SE Blades are Guff..:happy102:

19. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

However, the carbon steel blades can be stropped and are good for 40-50 shaves.

cpool222 likes this.
  20. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I never heard that about the Feather carbon blades. I tried a new one right out of the package and it was terrible, so I guess it's time to take it to the strop.

Tedolph likes this.