a vintage adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by George X, May 26, 2016.

1. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I've been searching the Bay for a 1963 adjustable. My questions are and I know it's subjective, but 1. what is the best to get, 2. what's the right price, and 3. can I really trust what I am seeing. I've seen a few nice slims and black beauties and they have ranged from inexpensive and probably not working to you have got be kidding me, but dang that looks sweet.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a slim. The build is fantastic. I don't have a black beauty so I can't comment in their build . You can get a slim for a good price under $30.

Lilan likes this.
  3. George X

I was watching a '63 slim that sat at $30 for the last 3 days. In the last 7minutes of the auction the bids starts and it ended up selling for just over $40

Lilan likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Check Etsy. There is a dealer there that has some deals that might beat the bay.

5. George X

Never thought of etsy. Awesome. Thanks

Robyflexx, Lilan and RyX like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I got my Slim on Ebay for about $22.00 with some minor plate loss on the bottom plate, and my Short Black Beauty in it's case for about $40.00 in perfect condition. Both prices include shipping. Both are about the same length, with the Slim being slightly shorter and both shave about the same. But lately I've seen both types with higher prices and not in better condition than my two.

Robyflexx, Carbide Mike and Lilan like this.
  7. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Got both, love them!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

My 1963 (I1) slim was $13; the postage from the US to the UK was the same price as the razor. It was very dirty, seriously. I thought it would never clean up but it came up really well. I only recently had it re-plated. A lovely shave. You will find an inexpensive one if you're patient.

Lilan and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If you're looking for a 1963 DE adjustable, then the Gillette slim is your only option and a great one at that. It's a great razor! Prices have crept up, but check both eBay and etsy and be patient for the right one to come along. Also, check the buy it now listings on eBay.

Lilan, jimjo1031 and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have a few black beautys , and shave great

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Also, check antique shops and flea markets in your area. I bought my first slim (have two) in an antique shop. He had 3 razors in a bag for $16. That's $5.33 per razor. For that I got a lady Gillette, an early super speed and a slim. With a little cleanup I realized that I got a fantastic buy.

Look around!

Lilan, jimjo1031, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The Slim is a great little razor. It has nice balance, heft and a good grip to it. There always seems to be several for sale but the prices do vary greatly.

Lilan, jimjo1031 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I personally like Fat Boys from 1958-1961, but they tend to be a little more expensive than a Slim. The fatter handle on the fat boy fits my hand better..[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Lilan, jimjo1031, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good hunting.

Carbide Mike and Lilan like this.
  15. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a slim and it arrived today. It's being cleaned as we speak.

The best thing to do is stalk newly listed items and auctions that end in the middle of the night.

Also - Listings that aren't so descriptive like just simply labeled something like "Vintage Gillette Razor" instead of something more particular like "Gillette Adjustable Slim Razor" will end up selling for far less.

Lilan and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

I've got more slims than I could ever use and would be willing to give up one. Shoot me a PM if you would like to buy one ??? I can send you a few picks. They are in excellent condition and look almost brand new.

Lilan and dangermouse like this.
  17. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

True, I paid $53 for a '65, but it didn't need replate, so all good!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Even if you don't get that great of a deal on it... The going rate of around 30 bucks is still more then worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk