ABC Pocket Edition Unknown Model or Year

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Feb 16, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I don't know Len... I think you've got a tie for the rarest between your engraved ABC and your gunmetal Empire. It's the only gunmetal Empire I've ever seen.

The one I wish I had back was my 1910 Canadian ABC set.. the one with the smooth moon-ball end and the handle smooth all over too, no knurling or ornate design. Very rare. Also wish I had mine in the leather case back too. I really hate it when things happen that make me have to get rid of razors....... :angry032::happy102:

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

All right. After some helpful suggestions on resizing of photo programs, I will try again to show you my ABC. IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0241.JPG

I did try a shave with my 1911 ABC Flower (probably gold) and a Rapira blade. It was okay. I like that round head design. Smooth and easy. Reminds me of my 1940 Tech. I think I will try a yellow Gillette to get a better shave with it. I also tried a Merkur Bakelite. Now that was really different.

If gold goes with gold and gold doesn't tarnish, then maybe I have a gold razor that was put into the wrong box, the silver one.

battle.munky, alpla444 and macaronus like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, Gillette at times had gold razors in cases of silver, nickel and / or chrome.
    So yours might be correct razor to case.

Here is an example from Mr-Razor.com.

[​IMG]

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. That looks like my case but with a different handle.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

When you look on Mr-Razor.com you will find under the Old Type that Gillette was busy making minor variations on the single theme. It wasn't until the patents ran out following WWI that they had to make more significant changes to handles and cases due to new competition in the 3 hole double edge razor and blade market.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/Old Type.htm

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/New Improved.htm

alpla444 likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs021: Daddy like! If this doesn't lead to a serious RAD, I don't know what will. I'll keep a sharp lookout for one of these! Thanks for sharing!

Glad you succeeded in posting the pic. Good haul!

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, the Pocket Edition sets made by Gillette did but not the Pocket Edition sets made by ABC for Gillette.

Looks to me like a silver plated razor with most of the plating gone and showing the underlying brass.

alpla444 likes this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I was surprised how smooth mine was, looks very nice:)

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I saw that and got inspired for a second. Then fear took over. I think I might (pun intended) give it a whack today though.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

And it worked for mine! Have a look:

unbent1.jpg unbent2.jpg unbent3.jpg unbent4.jpg

Comparing to the pics I posted earlier, she's as straight as an arrow.

I'm Bob and I am no longer afraid to whack things wrapped in towels with hammers! :D

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Len and for those of you who do not know.....ABC ..."ROYALTY" has just arrived. Oldguy has learned, shared, and advised about these ABC and Brownie sets more than anyone. He has been very generous with his advice and insight. I now have a number of these sets thanks to Len's help with the first one that I got several years ago.....however, no gunmetal nor leather ones, as are in his collection. Doug

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Very kind words, Doug. Thanks. I remember when you got your first ABC. I was very lucky to get the ones I have now, all from ebay. I haven't looked for any razors at all in over 6 months. Need to give everyone else a chance. ;)

The one I remember the most was the rare Gillette diamond on the razor cap. I didn't know it at the time but Mr Razor and I were bidding on the same thing. I just barely won the auction, about $1. After the auction was over he sent me an email asking if I would send him photos for his web page. Those are the photos I sent him which he displays. I haven't seen him in awhile. I hope he's doing well. He's a really nice guy and the World's expert on Gillette vintage razors. Or maybe tied with Phillip Krumholz.

And Doug. Keep looking for that leather cased ABC. Most guys on ebay don't know it's an ABC set. I have two.

Len

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks Len, as usual you are a class act and a treasure to any forum. I will have to send you a picture of the ones that I have gathered if you will excuse a Cyber-shot Zeiss digital shot and not compare that to a Leica which is way beyond my skills. Also, when I got my first ABC it was breathtaking to me although a pretty ordinary set. I do shave with two of them, different blades, on occasion. Doug