Above the Tie vs Weber

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PatrickA51, Jan 19, 2020.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Today I shaved with one of my ATT razors using a Wilkerson Sword DE Blade. I got a very crappy poor shave. I had somewhat started growing a beard but it was about 5 days growth, I switched to my Weber Razor and put in a brand new Wilkerson Sword DE Blade. I had not even shaved half of my face before I switched from the Above the Tie Razor to the Weber Razor. The blade was from the same package I got the first blade from. I only use Wilkerson Sword Blades when I'm using my DE Razors.
    The shave I got with my Weber Razor was far superior from the Above the Tie Razor. What make matters worse is they no longer make the Weber Razors but they still make the poor quality Above the Tie Razors. I paid far more money for the Above the Tie Razor, than I did my Weber Razor. I really wish that the people that made the Weber razors would start making them again they are well worth the cost. That's just my personal option.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I might have found your problem. Different razors do better with different blades. I'd try a different brand of blade and see if that makes a difference.

It's been a while since I used a Wilkinson sword blade, but from what I can recall, I found them to be perfectly average. So average, in fact, that I used them as a baseline when trying new razors. Average smoothness, average sharpness, average longevity. Nothing spectacular or negative about them.

Now, I could be wrong, and Above The Tie really does make a shitty razor. Not beyond the realm of possibility, and I've never used one, but most people do seem to get along with them fine.

brit likes this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I used the blade this morning that was in my ATT razor I got a good shave. The blade is going away, I only a blade twice before it goes away.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I owned an ATT OC razor. I "think" it was an "M" plate, but cannot remember. It had the big handle. While I wouldn't say it was a sh..ty razor, it just felt clunky. It also had, and I used to comment on this, a spot around the cap thread, that was poorly plated, so there was a very small corroded section. Regrading Weber, I don't own a razor, but just the Bulldog handle, which is permanently attached (metaphorically speaking) to my 2011 R41. Best aftermarket handle I have ever used. Bad comparison, I know.

PatrickA51 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

My 2 goto blades are Feather's and GSB's. Both used in my ATT give a great shave. Keep in mind that for me, it's the second or third shave when the blade really smooths out (something about the blade coating wearing away). So much so, that I never look forward to the very first shave with a new blade.

PatrickA51 and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Not sure which ATT you've got but I remember my R1 and Weber shaving almost exactly the same, which is to say they both had a little more blade exposure than I like. The M1 is more my speed as a daily shaver. It may just be the plate you're using isn't what you want.

Have to say though that ATT's quality is miles above Weber's. The Weber razors were a good value but the blade holding surfaces were polished on a buffing wheel that threw all the tolerances out of whack. The corners of my blades pointed up noticeably because of the way the ends of the baseplate had been so aggressively buffed and that resulted in some rough shaves before I noticed it and corrected the issue as well as I could. Anybody who makes stuff like this knows you machine the critical surfaces to their final dimensions after you do the polishing or protect the critical surfaces from the polishing wheel. You won't find any of those issues on an ATT.

7. OhioBob

OhioBob New Member

I have the ATT Atlas with the M1 plate and the Aluminum Calypso M1 and find both good for a daily razor. I tried the R1 plate and H1 plate on the Calypso and the M1 is more my speed on both razors. Mild but efficient for me, YMMV. I would guess that the original poster has the wrong base plate. I count the ATT razors as among the highest quality razors built and their customer service is absolutely outstanding. As with any razor, you have to find the razor that meets your needs and gives the shave that's right for you. Just my $.02 worth.