Adventures in Shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lothar101, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

I thought I was just going to dabble in SE shaving, but here it is three weeks later and I haven't touched a DE. I bought and old Gem Jr. at a flea market for $2 which led to some good shaves but not excellent. I then posted I would like to try a G-Bar and another nice member PIFed me one for just shipping. I had been using a bay found cheap Damaskeene by the time I got it and thought it could do no wrong. Simple 2 and a third pass BBS shaves flowed :) Well included in the PIF was some Connaught Shaving SS PTFE coated blades (same as Pellas I think) I had been using carbons with pretty excellent results. So loaded one of the new SS blades in the Damaskeene and I thought dang I must have wronged him in some way some where along the way.It felt like a mislabled scraper blade! So a couple days later after reading and letting face heal. I tried the same blade in the G-Bar and it was a beautiful shave! I had read some people have to use these blades a few times in a mild razor before using in a more aggressive one (which the Damaskeene is) I'm gonna try it in it again after a few shaves a see if it settles it down after being in the G-Bar. Has anyone else had this type of experience? BTW with a carbon blade I felt the Damaskeene could do no wrong or even bite :) it lulled me into a false sense of security. Definitely more aggressive than I thought.

Leo K. and lradke like this.
  2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

SE razors are a little addictive...i'll admit it. I can't say I've had the same experience, when I was first PIFed a GEM Featherweight years ago, it came with carbon blades. I had a terrible experience with them (in a featherweight...a razor that could never cut close enough for a smooth shave). I then got the PTFE blades and the razor was much smoother for me. So mine is a bit opposite of yours. The carbon blades made me want to turn away from SEs.

3. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

I hear ya Lothar. I love me some SE shavin too!! But if you're not paying attention they'll let you know!!