Advice for straight razors users, and those that want to be

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PalmettoB, Jul 18, 2007.

1. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

That's a really good guide. I printed it out and bound it for myself. And like others have said, I can still refer to it often; it's not just for the fresh beginner

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am reviewing this and hopefully will shed some light on the single edge shaving and the str8 shaving.

+1 on the thread.

3. -PO-

-PO- New Member

This is a great thread for a newbie like me. Once I get the DE down I will be trying the straight that way I can alternate :D

4. Big Dick Dubloon

Big Dick Dubloon New Member

Thanks, very helpful. Hopefully that will keep me from bleeding too much when I start out.

Dick

5. grottolord

grottolord New Member

expierinced Straight shaver

as an expierinced straight razor shaver new to the De world , i say that the guide listed would be very helpfull, straight razor shaving is just another skill to aquire,not too hard to learn just dont be afraid to loose some flesh!!!!!!!,
    light pressure is the key, and never and i mean never let the blade slide sideways!!!!!!!!!!
    Go for it youll like it,
    Grottolord

Macbeth likes this.
  6. razoir

razoir New Member

Will do it but oh, brother

That's the thing with getting into shaving at this level: I started with crap, cheap razors, went to a DE (like this), but am itching to try a straight razor now. Gets to be a lot of research and expensive (but worth it, I feel). I'm sure once I will be shaving with a SR for some months, I'll switch to a Bowie knife then to a shell...

BeShaved likes this.
  7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

No, no...obsidian is next. :happy102

8. Something to keep in mind as you go through the learning process is that George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison and every man that didn't want a beard shaved with a straight razor over the centuries. In the overall scheme of shaving, DEs are very modern devices. Traditional shaving is straight razor shaving.

Boys learned how to do it when they started growing facial hair and they did it for the rest of their lives. And they did it without books or websites or even a variety of creams, soaps, scents and skincare. Anyone can shave with a straight.

BeShaved likes this.
  9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Yeah but they had fathers or barbers to show them how

10. Compa

Compa Member

First link appears to be broken but the third one works fine (also the second but I am from America (the continent) so buying on europe is very expensive... I know, I bought a book and the shipping was higher than the book haha)

This will be really helpful :D thanx for the links sir.

BeShaved likes this.
  11. olafurson

olafurson Member

New and improved link for Chris Moss's eBook PDF download.

BeShaved likes this.
  12. Compa

Compa Member

Much appreciated :D I'll print it at the office when my boss goes out for lunch haha.

BeShaved likes this.
  13. leftyteck

leftyteck New Member

Thanks for these, but unfortunately the first and third links are down. Could you re-up them please? Thanks!

BeShaved likes this.
  14. riedog

riedog New Member

jsut to bring this up.. but when i tryed to open the link it seems to be bad.. is there a new one?

15. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

So I have been using a straight for months now. I have a problem sometimes when I am working on my upper lip. I just can't get the blade to slide and I find that I have had much success when I tilt the blade to a higher angle. Some times I am shaving as much as 80 degrees. What do you think? Am I commiting a cardinal sin? Or if it work it works?

BeShaved likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Are you kidding me? :confused:
    You found what works and you're asking if it's okay? :confused::confused:
    You want to know if it's a sin to get a close shave? :confused::confused::confused:

Hey, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Glad you're getting the str8 to work for ya! :happy088:happy088

17. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Well you know, I just wondered if I am maybe putting me in some kind of risk that I don't yet foresee. I get really nervious in that area. I am in a tight spot between my lips and my nose. When the blade just does not slide, I worry it is snagging on a whisker and then will zip by and I will slice my nose. So I started lifting the blade. Eventually I was suprised to find it trimmed at such a high angle.

IAN

18. olafurson

olafurson Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

On the WTG, I mostly find I have to dig in at about 90 degrees immediately below my nose, and bend my wrist while rotating the blade downwards, with very little arm movement involved. The pressure needed is similar to that felt when I have to shorten my sideburns.

What's really difficult, though, is scraping away at those tough moustache hairs ATG. For that, I prefer putting both hands on the blade itself. You might find this gentleman's post helpful:

The Fool's Pass

And of course, some videos.

Keep in mind while watching those videos of XMan's, that I personally think starting one's shave ATG is just plain crazy talk... to each their own.

It's prudent to expect weepers if you're going to do the Fool's Pass.

As a minor alternative to the Fool's Pass as XMan presented it, you might also consider resting the blade against your lip, keeping your head perfectly still, and stretching your top lip down over your upper teeth, and pulling the hairs over the blade edge. You may have more control over your upper lip than you have over your two hands...

19. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Thanks for the info.

YES. I often fine I can move my lip better then the blade with more control.

20. GreyBeard

GreyBeard Member

I just spit coffee all over the PC! I have been down this road so many times and not just with shaving.

Lavachild likes this.