Advice for straight razors users, and those that want to be

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PalmettoB, Jul 18, 2007.

1. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

After reading and researching so much about straight razor shaving, I am just cutting to the chase and bought a straight razor (with all of the essentials). I had such an awesome experience with a straight razor shave at a barber shop, that I wanted to pick it up. Never had a father or grandfather who did straight razor shaving, but I hope to start that trend with my kids.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. tristen

tristen Member

3. WCF

WCF New Member

Hello,

I would like to ask if I should strop my s r after every use.

Thank you

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Some do. I don't. I strop before the shave. But that's me.
    I have seven str8s in my rotation and use a different one every Saturday, my str8 shavin' day.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. WCF

WCF New Member

Thank you for the advice.. Kind regards and God bless you as well

Joel

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I do 10 laps on linen and 10 laps on leather after the shave to completely dry the edge. I do 20 linen and 30 leather before the shave. This is one of those YMMV type questions. I experimented with more and less laps until I found what worked for most of my razors, most of the time.

Billyfergie, BeShaved and mrchick like this.
  7. WCF

WCF New Member

Thank you for the help.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried the links but on the link for the print version worked.... then I realised this post is from 2007!

Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  9. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I strop my razors to dry them on my bath towel. Later, before using, I strop 25 on linen and 50 or so on leather. Stropping is essential.

Karl G, Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  10. WCF

WCF New Member

Got it. That answers my question. Thank you.

Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  11. J Westley

J Westley Member

Does everyone hone their own or send them to someone to be honed?
    Looking for my first SR and thinking of getting the honing stones also. Something for me to learn how to do with a SR.

J Westley

BeShaved likes this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Shaving with a straight razor and honing a straight razor are two very different skill sets. It is recommended that folks new to SR shaving just focus on learning to shave and strop before jumping into honing. At least half of us ignore this advice, and have to send our razors out to get fixed after we try to hone them. You will have a better shaving experience if you send it out to start with, so you know what a properly honed razor feels like.

Karl G, Spyder, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  13. J Westley

J Westley Member

Thanks Adam, I will take that advise and hold off on trying to hone a razor. I did a search for Nashville and didn't find anyone other that the Art of Shaving that has SR. Guess it will be online sales to find a shave ready Straight.

Spyder, Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Many of us send ours to Glen, aka gssixgun, here at TSD. He runs www.gemstarcustoms.com

15. J Westley

J Westley Member

Thanks Steve, I have watched many of gssixgun youtube videos. Once I get a SR it will be going to Glen if it isn't shave ready to begin with.

Karl G, Billyfergie and BeShaved like this.
  16. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Yeah, since I know I'm still new, but if things are going to be stickied can we make sure the links are still valid? Nothing more disheartening then reading a post that is supposed to contain good info, only to find out the links are broken. No bueno.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
    Billyfergie likes this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Somebody posted an updated link in post number 42.
    Here it is again: http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/The-Straight-Razor-Shave.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
    Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:signs011:

Billy..:chores016:

19. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Which you wouldn't know because 1) The links aren't even close to being similar 2) No message was added to the post explaining that it was updating the OP, and D) Assuming this pdf is The Straight Razor Shave, it is different from what was mentioned in the OP, The Art of the Straight Razor Shave.

OK, answering D it is the same, but you wouldn't know it from the post.

Not trying to be dickish, just trying to make sure newbies (like myself) can find the right stuff.