After you shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by old okie, May 8, 2012.

1. old okie

old okie Member

I have been finishing my shave with a cold water rinse then I like to rub my face down with listerene orignal mouth wash before I put my after shave Balsm on, Has anyone tried this? Makes my face feel better than anything I have tried.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Listerine used that as a additional product application in the 1920s.

[​IMG]

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Hmmm. I can honestly say I've never tried it. Heck I've never even thought of it that way either.

old okie likes this.
  4. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

Umm, No.

old okie likes this.
  5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hmmm... would it work with Scope? You'd have a minty fresh face! :p

old okie likes this.
  6. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Now I will have to give it a try

7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

The Original worked as an aftershave because of the alcohol content in the mix. Just like the alcohol in most current AS. Only works with the Original. Remember the whole idea of the shave thing was to : clean(the soap); tone(the AS/the alcohol) ; Moisturize(the Balm).
    It was also prohibition and alcohol AS was probably hard to get.

8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Do you get a good sting when you use it?

9. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Me either!
    That's what I was thinking
    I have no doubt that you do.

10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Listerine has a pretty strong scent as I use it for mouthwash and it burns when I use it. I think it'd be too strong without cutting it with something and the scent would interfere with my cologne, I think. Could be wrong though but, I'll stick to the Velva.

11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Could I get the same effect by licking, then pasting Listerine dissolvable strips to my face after a shave?

[​IMG]

12. old okie

old okie Member

No sting at all

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm more interested in the Listerine shave cream they advertised in the lower left corner of the ad. And for the record, the guy in the ad looks totally tanked.

battle.munky and tomnat like this.
  14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

:happy102: I thought the same thing!

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tom's of Maine mouthwash makes for excellent a/s. Sooooooothing, as the Wicked Witch might say.

16. maskaggs

maskaggs New Member

I'd be interested in more information on this. For some reason my instinct is to think The Dark Ages probably didn't touch AS - I would imagine folks desperate enough for a drink would either distill their own or find a moonshiner rather than drink AS, anyway. But I'm not clear on the specific restrictions of Prohibition.

17. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Listerine mixed with 444 what a concept!!!!

18. trader ron

trader ron Well-Known Member

Interesting. Never heard of this. I have Listerine anyway....might as well try it!!

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You guys go ahead. I'm pretty sure there's a reason using Listerine as an aftershave did not remain in vogue. I'll pass.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Listerine as Aftershave? Hmmm,maybe i´ll give it a try.Today i read in our German Forum,that some of the guys take Whiskey as Aftershave (or Vodka).It´s enough Alcohol in it to get a good desinfection.I like Whiskey and i will will give this a chance too.But only a cheap one...Not an Balvenie or Glenrothes or some...;)The saturday shave will show what to do...Listerine or Whiskey...What would you prefer?!:signs002:

old okie likes this.