After you're done shaving do you...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by xCarbonSteelx, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Moe

Moe Active Member

I'm a bit OCD: "clean up the lip, make sure no soap is on the outside, then give the inside a quick rinse to get any created lather out" I a lso clean the lid. I don't usually have too much lather on the soap, so i don't feel like i'm wasting anything, but if I rinse the soap, most of the time I keep the bowl angled so that just the walls (of the Ziploc bowl) are getting rinsed.

2. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Same thing for me

3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I have my soaps in little Glad containers and I always rinse the inside and outside of the container. I'm not sure why I do other than I am a bit anal about it. I really don't see any need to rinse out the inside when it is just going to get soapy the next time. I think I will stop doing this and try to get passed my neurosis. :D

4. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

ditto... I clean the lip and sides but leave the lather on the puck

5. Dave_D

Dave_D Member

I usually just rinse the outside of the mug and put the lid on halfway so the puck can dry off.

6. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Never thought about keeping the wet soap in the mug. I guess I thought it has a chance to build up bacteria. So I rise and crack the top to let dry. Plus my mug is wooden. I fear the sitting water will damage it.

7. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I can see that, but I keep my mugs in a drawer and never have a problem with dust.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not saying it can't happen, but has anyone had any experience with a soap getting moldy? I have soaps in my rotation that have been in action for over two years. I also use a couple of vintage soaps and have never had anything grow on 'em or have them get a funky/foul odor.

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I believe it's rare, however for soaps that don't use preservatives, I suppose it's possible. I let all my soaps air dry for an hour or so then cover and put them away. Mold needs dark, moist and warm conditions to grow.

10. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

With my Italian soft soaps (Valobra) I clean up the lip and outside of container and then store it open to the air (unless I'm traveling). A member here (I forget who) gave me the tip that with soft soaps if you cover them while wet they can turn into creams due to the extra humidity. I have a super hard English style soap sitting in the bottom of a deep mug and with that I actually do pour tap water in the mug, swirl it around and dump it out and let air dry. Those English soaps are a hearty breed and I doubt much soap is lost and even if they do I don't care... if the puck only lasts 1 year vs 1.5 that's fine by me, that's just way too much permanence for a soap. ;)

11. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I think the moldy soap is a very rare thing. But I have actually seen it happen. I had to clean out a house of a family member who had died. I found a bar of soap laying on some old old old tiles. No telling how long it sat there. It possibly had been there for years. The bar had some black mold growing on the edge where it seemed to be the ideal ratio of moisture of water and air.

Having said that, I have also used some soap while camping and placed the used bar in a ziplock bag while still wet. I intended to pull the bar out when I got home. I forgot all about it and discovered it 6 months later when I was prepping my gear for another camping trip. Despite the moisture, the bar was as good as it ever was. It had softened a bit, but only on the outer surface.

12. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I give mine a quick wipe along with the counter after use and then forget it.

13. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I lather a bit in the bowl, and then finish on the face. There is always a bit left in the bowl, and I just slap the lid on, put it away, and call it a shave.

14. Saliavin

Saliavin Member

Most of my sticks don't have a lid, and once I am through with them they go in the sink drawer. But those that do I leave it open till it dries, and then put the lid on. When I had a tub of Cella, I would just screw the lid on, and rinse the outside before putting the tub in the drawer. I will add, that I typically use a soap/cream for a week, and on Sundays change up.

15. okiwen

okiwen Member

I clean the lip and leave the rest inside. Cap it if it has one.

16. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

I just let the soap dry a bit - when I come home - I put the lid on and put away.

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  17. catanUS

catanUS I pity da fool!

For pucks in a mug, I just pour out any excess water. I do clean and wipe out my Dirty Bird Scuttle, but mostly just to keep it pretty!

I have some soap in one of those wooden containers, so I do let it air dry before putting the lid back on. Maybe not necessary, but it makes me not have to worry about icky wood in the bottom.

18. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

My puck of soap is in a little chrome dish that hangs on my brush stand. I had been rinsing all of the excess lather off the puck/out of the dish but once I thought about it, I realized that I fill the dish with water to soak the puck before each use so it seemed silly to rinse away perfectly good soap twice every shave. Now I just leave it be, maybe dump out any excess water if there is any when I'm done.

19. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

This is exactly my routine.

20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Neither. Only use the original container for storage. Slice a sliver off the round or if soft, scoop a little out and place it in my shaving bowl. That way the original stays fresh and labeled.