Aftershaves...which camp are you in?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

A floating boat is better than the opposite:)

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I use east african unrefined shea butter.

3. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I cannot wait to see the AS Route 66 comes out with. I'm starting to get pretty bad AS AD.

4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Maybe it's easier to tell you what I don't want/like ;)

I hate ASBs that are greasy, too thick and leave some sticky residue on my face (I guess most men don't like that). Stuff has to flow pretty thinly and should not leave anything behind apart from a soothing feeling.

If I use a great smelling soap I don't want the Aftershave to overpower or neutralize that scent. That's why the German Tüff Sensitive Aftershave is my favorite. It is great skincare (contains Alcohol and Witch Hazel, Panthenol and Glycerin) and it has a very faint herb scent that disappears within minutes. So for me it's either no scent at all or something that matches the soap.

I used to use mostly balms because Lotions/Splashes left me with tight skin, which I did not enjoy. But that was back when I did not know better than shaving with canned goo and a cartridge razor. Now that I use nice soaps that provide some skincare the Aftershave Lotion is all I need most of the time. If I had a really bad shave and the skin is irritated, I use pure Aloe Vera Gel afterwards.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

All of your options depend on the season, for me. I go either way on the alcohol question. I haven't yet tried witch hazel, although I've learned some of its benefits. I go for moisturizing aftershaves during the cold months.

6. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

Alcohol...shaken not stirred please.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I really enjoy a good alcohol based AS that includes some menthol. I personally find a little whitch hazel and aloe can be great additions, but a simple alcohol, water, menthol and fragrance AS works very well for me.

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  8. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

Excited to see you're asking for this info as I hope it means the aftershaves are coming soon(ish)!
    I can take or leave the alcohol so that makes little difference to me. My face isn't finicky so I haven't really come across an A/S that I haven't liked but one thing I DO look for is an A/S that can double as a cologne. I like my A/S to have staying power for a few hours into the day.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree.

10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Tabac. 'nuff said.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I prefer my aftershaves, in general, to be alcohol based. I will on occasion use a balm or a non-alcohol splash, depending on the scent.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Alcohol, wood or lavender scents please.

13. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Usually alcohol but in the winter I'll do some balm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.