Alcohol content ratings?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Regan, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Hello, I do enjoy some burn but not too much. I was wondering if there is a link that has the alcohol % of aftershaves which i could use as a general rating for the burn level. I know alcohol isn't the only factor but could be used as a guideline.

I am looking for some more aftershave splashes but I do not want to buy one that burns too much that I would hesitate to use it. I have the Nivea splash and it is wonderful. I have no idea bout the alcohol content but some outline would be great.

Thank you all

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Just add a splash of witch hazel to it. I do that occasionally with my VIBR, which by far provides the most burn of any other AS I have, and it mellows it right out.

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I know i can do that but that also cuts down on the scent and other properties. Could add some withazel, menthol, glycerin and scents... but if i were to do that I could make my own AS.

thanks for the idea. I have added WH before to aftershave balms that were a bit too much for my skin.

4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I did a quick MSDS search and found the following for % of Ethanol/SD Alcohol 40:

Afta After Shave Skin Conditioner: 5-15%
    Avon after shave & cologne: 60-98%
    Barbasol after shave balm: <1%
    Barbasol Brisk: 50%
    Burts Bees Bay Rum: 30%
    Gillette Fusion ProSeries Lotion: 7-13%
    Hugo Boss: 60-100%
    Lacoste Pour Homme: 7-13%
    Old Spice: 40-70%
    Skin Bracer: 45-50%

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Cool thank you very much. What site did you use to get the MSDS info from?

6. thevez2

I forgot one. Clubman: 70%

I don't recall the site, I just searched for msds and picked one. I checked a second site and all the same ones were there too.

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'm surprised not to see Aqua Velva in the list.

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I keep trying to find Nivea Cool Kick Splash. Cannot find it anywhere... GRRR

9. rafikz

rafikz Member

Despite the fact that I have dry skin, the Gillette ProSeries Cooling balm doesn't dry my skin out, so the % must be accurate

The Nivea balms that have alcohol - Replenishing & Cooling - do dry my skin out
    They have 30% alcohol (from their website)

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Everything looks right to me...I think its safe to put Aqua Velva in the 40-65 or 70 percent bracket...:) Thanks thevez2 those are some interesting numbers...I have felt every percentage point of some of them...:happy102

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Haha. The burn... can be a tad much at sometimes.

Anybody get a % for Pinaud products? 55%. I Know everybody says it burns like hell so it might be higher than the 55% i found. If it burns too much I can mix it with another aftershave to cut down the alcohol percentage.

12. thevez2

Yep

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

wow... I hope its not one of those days today.

Thanks and 70% dang. I might mix that with a different aftershave to cut down on the face melting :D.

14. thevez2

I must not have sensitive skin, because I've never really noticed a difference in alcohol content. No AS has ever bothered my face too much. I love the burn.

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have had burn... But never been to much that I cried or had to wash it off. But I also have never used 70%. I will give it a try. If it is too much I will try to cut it with something.

16. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Same here

I thought that would be on there for sure! Love the burn and that quote "Covers the scent of horse and sin!" Crack'n me up! :happy102

17. thevez2

It's common enough I figured it would be simple to find, but It wasn't in the two MSDS databases I found (both identical).

I know, too funny right? I got it from here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpoQSq6poA