Alum Block or Styptic Pencil?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by ztirf1953, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I've been reading the responses regarding proper use of Alum block.

If the alum block is not made to deal with cuts, and if a styptic stick is better, which one is the best?

I've used the Alum block to deal with cuts and it seems to work for me as good as pinaud styptic pencils.

Fritz

2. saturnine

saturnine Member

Alum will help stop the blood from minor nicks or "weepers", but styptic is generally needed for more serious nicks or outright cuts.

Alum also has astringent qualities & helps tone your face, which styptic does not. Along with its after shave benefits, alum is reported to help bug bites.

Next you may ask is Alum or Witch Hazel best? This is something I have yet to answer & like most things around here, there is likely no answer. It is what works for you, or what you like most.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've never used a styptic, but it seems to me the two items serve different purposes. So neither is best.

4. mcat1906

mcat1906 New Member

I just got an alum block.... but really can't tell if it does anthing or not. I have never tried a styptic pencil.

5. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

A styptic pencil is a sensible tool to have to treat cuts, while an alum block's purpose is primarily that of an after shave treatment to close the pores and help stop weepers. I would not be without either. Some people find that an alum block gives them instant feed back on whether the shave was rough i.e. it will sting, some leave the alum on others apply then rinse off because it makes their skin dry.

As for whether witchhazel is better? I would use alum 1st and on the rare occasion that I get harsh feed back from it I apply witchhazel and then an after shave splash or balm.

An alum block is the only item which is consitent in all my shaves.

6. TSasser

TSasser New Member

I use Witch Hazel after ever shave, I like it.

Spetic Pencil is best used for bleeding cuts. It is agreesive at stopping the bleeding but will sting.

Alum Block will stop the bleeding of smaller cuts that don't really bleed that much. It also helps is reducing razor burn.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

If you want to stop bleeding cuts nothing beats " MY Nick is Sealed". Its a blood stopper nick sealer that comes in a tiny roller ball container. You press and roll over the nick and it does a clean, easy and instant job .

I don't have extensive use with the alum block , only tried mine a few times. I have used styptic pencil but found it too troublesome and messy to deal with . MNIS has worked for me for years now. Strongly recommend this product .

8. aberneth

aberneth Member

Styptic pencils and alum blocks both use the same salt (potassium aluminum sulfate). They're just different shapes. I've never used either, and have been perfectly satisfied with witch hazel.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have both a styptic pencil and an alum block. I bought the styptic when I first started with a DE razor to heal cuts and nicks. At the beginning I used it a lot, but not so much anymore. My technique has improved and I don't hack my face like I did when I first switched. The alum block, I use after every shave. It takes care of minor weepers, gives instant feed back on the shave, and seems to tighten up the skin. I don't wash it off and follow with some with hazel and aftershave.

10. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

Alum is used as more of a general astringent-like facial toner whether or not nicks are present. A small side benefit of alum is that it works okay for some smaller nicks, however it's completely ineffective for bleeders. Those who regularly use alum usually do so even if no nicks are present.

Styptics are specifically for nicks with roll-ons like "My Nik is Sealed" and "Nick Stick" working far better than the pencils, leaving no white powder behind, and are much more sanitary. The better your technique is the fewer nicks you get so the less you need a styptic, but they are extremely handy to have around just in case. :D

steveoh likes this.