Alum Block vs Styptic Pen

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by xCarbonSteelx, Dec 13, 2011.

1. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

What are the Pros/Cons of these? Is one superior than the other? Are they used for different reasons?

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I bought a styptic pen when I first started and boy did I need it. A styptic pen is used to stop major nicks and cuts. When I say major nicks and cuts, I mean nick and cuts that aren't going to close by themselves or with a cold water rinse. They do nothing for your skin as you just use them on cuts. Oh and they sting like a bugger. I have yet to use an alum block although I just received one from the TSD store and will be using it tomorrow, but an alum block is typically (here is where everyone has there own way of doing it) applied to a wet face and is rubbed all over the just shaved area, not just on your nicks and cuts. It is an astringent so it will sting a tiny bit (from what I understand) but nothing like a styptic pen. A alum block will not seal and stop a major cut from bleeding, but for little nicks it should work great. It is also good for your skin. Again, from what I understand, some people use it in lieu of witch hazel as it has the same effects on your skin. I am going to try it and see what works for me. Give both of them a shot, they aren't expensive, and see what works best for you.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

A styptic pen is applied to a specific area to stop bleeding. An alum block is applied to the whole face and acts as an astringent......a bit like an alcohol based aftershave. An alum block will reduce razor burn and treat weepers. It is also very effective as a deodorant.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nuthin' else to add. Tom and Brian covered it.

alpla444 likes this.
  5. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information.

6. RandDT

RandDT New Member

Does it have a scent and is it to be used in place of an after-shave?

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Check with Stingray/Jeff....My Dad used to put a little Alum powder in his Witch Hazel...splashed it everyday....When her was 80 he didn't have a wrinkle...His facial skinwas like a 40 year old...A handsome 40 year old...:)
    I'm still in my 50's...just barely....and have more wrinkles around my jaw line than he did in his 80's...I should have followed his advice...But Stingray did...So check with Jeff and see if his stayed with it....
    The alum tightens the skin....I would use along with after shave....Rub the alum block and a few minutes later after shave splash...:)

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No scent what so ever. Up to you how you want to use it. I usually use the alum block, unscented witch hazel or after shave balm, then put a scented aftershave (think Brut or Pinaud Clubman) or cologne over that just to smell good for my wife.