Alum block vs Witch Hazel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Justin Linker, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I've been using WH for as long as I can remember. I've been reading about alum blocks, I was wondering, anyone who's ever used one before - which, in your experience, is the better astringent?

2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Both to be safe!!!:happy097:

I use both Alum first then rinse with Witch Hazel. The Alum block seems to have a stronger astringent effect but is lacking in the moisturizing department.

The Alum Block is more than just skin care. It is a great tool when trying or learning new things while shaving. If it stings to much, either the product you are trying is not for you or your techniques are off.

When you finish a shave and the Alum Block doesn't sting but your face is BBS+. The feeling of satisfaction knowing that was the perfect shave is amazing.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I use/have used both. Alum has a slight edge for me in that it's multitasking for travel... you can use it as an aftershave, deo stick, and if your hair is short as a hair "dressing" (great for crew cuts).

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You cant go wrong with either, IMO.
    As other have noted, WH has a better moisturizing property (especially those with added aloe), but one gets great face feedback from the alum.
    If I do use the alum block, I always finish with a nice moisturizing balm. With the aloe WH, that step isn't necessary.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Is Pinaud Clubman Aftershave astringent? Its enough for me. It puzzles me how everyone seems to be a hemophiliac except me. Even cold water alone seems to do the trick.

Richard Jackson likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, indeed.

Doug135 and fram773 like this.
  7. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I often work in the heat, and here in Texas it gets extremely hot. When I sweat all over myself if I haven't used alum and go out into the heat following a shave then my skin becomes red and irritated. Alum is better at closing the pores and inhibiting the growth of bacteria (which is attracted to the various electrolytes and proteins present in sweat). When I know that I will not be in the heat I prefer witch hazel, which is a gentler, if less effective, astringent.

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have both products. However, witch hazel always worked better for me and healed irritation or damaged skin better than my alum block. However, if I get a nick or cut; alum always sealed them up right away.

9. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I use both. I find WH to be more soothing, but as others have stated, alum seals up nicks pretty effectively.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've never been a fan of Alum, but I love Witch Hazel. I also live in the Pacific Northwest, so heat, dry or otherwise, isn't really an issue for 10 months out of the year. I've always found alum to be a bit too rough on my face compared to witch hazel. I've never been one to subscribe to the belief that "if it stings, it must be working" theory. I must admit that I also like the faint "charred wood" odor of witch hazel as well. It's so masculine.

For those reading this, if you are trying witch hazel for the first time, read the directions on the back of the bottle. Now ignore them and use it like an aftershave splash. The directions instruct you to soak a cotton ball with the witch hazel and rub it on your face. These directions seem to be written for use by women as part of their makeup removal or application routine (I'm not trying to be sexist).

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have both,but use neither..If I get a tiny nick or weeper I just use spit to close it up(saw that in a shaving video), if I'm getting irritation it's probably time to change the blade,if I want to check how good(irritaion/razor burn free) my shave went using the fire and pain technique I use Clubman Virgin Island BayRum, stuff burns like napalm..Other than that I just rinse off with cold water, apply "Nivea Post Shave Balm",then the AfterShave of the day...:)

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use both. Works well for me.