Alum block?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Leclec13, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

are all alum blocks created equal?

I just bought a larger alum block at an ethnic market at great saving.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Usually the ones used for shaving are all the same. They probably buy the Alum blocks in bulk from a some third world country, and put their own labels on the blocks. All those I have bought, from different makers, all look to be the same size, and have the same look about them.
    Here is some light reading:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

brit and kjbarth like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Slight "disagree" with @DaltonGang. Yes, alum blocks are all *about* the same, although quality can vary. BUT... one thing to be aware of: what exact alum is the block/stick made of?

Some blocks/sticks are made of Potassium Alum which is a naturally occurring product and usually of higher quality. Potassium-based items typically cost a bit more (up to outrageous in the case of some name brand shaving companies). These typically have to be ordered from the internet, but can sometimes be found in your local shops.

Some blocks/sticks are made of Ammonium Alum which is man-made and can cause skin irritation for some people. Ammonium-based products are typically less expensive and can often be obtained at your local grocery or drug store.

But, other than that, performance is the same. My advice, since my skin reacts to the Ammonium products, is to read the labels and know what you are buying. More expensive is not necessarily better, but can make a difference if you have sensitive skin.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The ones I am talking about are the crystalline blocks. Most of these I have seen, for shaving, are Potassium Alum. I have used these for Underarm control of sweat, if I have to go formal.

Edison Carter, brit and kjbarth like this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

There may be some differences even in those listed as potassium alum.

I got an Aluna brand marketed primarily as a deodorant. It clearly feels more active and more gentle than a 'no-name' that came from China.

brit and kjbarth like this.
  6. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

It is from third world country. $2 for about double the size of osma block. I’ll keep trying it. I can’t feel a difference in use.

Edison Carter, brit and kjbarth like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i use the razorock alum sticks.looks like a shave soap stick.potassium alum.made in thailand..quite inexpensive..