Amazon handling time

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Mr. Shaverman, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think I'm through with Amazon. Their handling times have gotten ridiculous. I've got 2 orders that are now approaching one week of handling time, not even shipped. I sent an email and they answered, explaining that they were moving things on their end between warehouses and shipping locations before consolidating and sending them out to me. Seriously?

I think they've gotten way too big and their shipping process isn't keeping up. In the past it was rare to wait 2 days for things to ship. Now, almost a week and that's been the norm for me. And no, I'm not going to pay for Amazon Prime as there's nothing there for me.

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

there are a lot of complaints online about Amazon Prime shipping. I haven't been thrilled about it either. But I do like prime TV.

ARGH, Rufus T. and BamaT like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, there's no way that I would purchase Prime at this point. It used to be that their free over $35 shipping took forever because they had to wait to fill a truck, but the shipping you paid for was good and the Prime shipping was fantastic. Now, it seems like everything's taken a step or two back. The free over $35 shipping takes a week+ of handling time, paid shipping takes almost a week of handling time, and Prime now takes a couple of days handling time before they ship it out.

I've never paid for Prime memberships but I do the free month of Prime they give you every year. In the past I'd ordered a TON of things during that time, just because half the time it was easier than putting it on a list for the store. But then this year with the Prime trial, it was anything but fast and convinced me not to ever pay for it. I've had to do several orders for things online, and I made 4 separate orders at Amazon first. I've gotten all of my other orders from sites that aren't Amazon, and only 1 of my Amazon orders. They don't make a compelling argument for using their site any longer. They've got a lot of stuff, yes. None of that is useful if they are unable to get it to you in a timely manner. I can save $3 buying a certain tool from Amazon instead of Site X, but if Site X can get it to me in 5 days, and after 5 days Amazon is still sitting on it, that $3 becomes meaningless.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

If you order an "add on item", it delays your shipment. I have a prime membership, but I did notice it was taking longer before I bought it. I have had an issue with 2 prime shipments taking longer than 2 days. I contacted Amazon both times and they extended my prime membership a month each time.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't know I order quite a lot of stuff from Amazon and have not noticed any change in shipping times this year.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

So shipping times remain unchanged for full truckload orders? :happy102:

photo.jpg

richgem and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Amazon doesn't sell vintage razors ;)

PLANofMAN and wristwatchb like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

I'm glad they don't sit on your order like they have been with mine, then. It's gotten bad. After emailing them today, I've now noticed that in the last 2 hours my 3 outstanding orders have all moved to 'shipping today'. Miraculous!

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1 :)

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Call me a dreamer, but wouldn't it be great if those Amazon drones delivered NOS Gillette Toggles? :rolleyes:

photo.jpg

ObiDon and richgem like this.
  11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

When they send items Parcel Pool I've had it take up to 3 weeks to get my orders. It's not always Amazon's fault though. Several times I've had tracking show that my order was here in town for 2 to 3 days before going out for delivery. Other times Amazon sends them 2nd day air through UPS or Fedex for some reason. Their shipping is very unpredictable.
    My opinion on prime is that it is a scam. You pay extra to get no faster shipping and if you want to watch anything on their site that is worth watching you still have to pay for it. Total scam.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've been fortunate, I suppose, as the majority of Amazon deliveries are astoundingly prompt. Sometimes the 2-day deliveries are here next day.
    Of course living 30 minutes from ones of the Amazon shipping hubs probably plays into the speedy deliveries I often receive.

Omaney likes this.
  13. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I use Prime a lot without issues, one to two days delivery. Every now and again something takes longer than two days, almost always the delivery company taking too long, but Amazon always makes it right. I also like Prime streaming. Sometimes there are things I want to watch that aren't free but mostly it's not an issue. I saw an independent review of Prime and Netflix and it showed that Prime had significantly more available titles than Netflix but less in HD. I also like some of the other additions you get with Prime like free offline videos on the Kindle, Amazon mom (that alone has paid for several years worth of Prime) the newer "no rush" shipping option and music. The downside to Amazon now is they are charging tax now for my orders.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Not everything sold on Amazon is shipped by Amazon. Different vendors might well have different levels of service. Everything I have ordered from Amazon has shipped very quickly.

15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ditto. The only delays in S&H I've experienced with Amazon have been from their "partners". If you buy an item not actually sold by Amazon (and there are an innumerable amount on their site), they're certainly not to blame, thay never touched it. Smallflower comes to mind. I like their stuff but they're what I consider slow in 2015. I have yet to have a problem with any shipment sold by/shipped by Amazon. And I am a happy Prime member as well, saves me megabucks.

Erik Redd likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Amazon needs to stop playing around with the idea of delivering packages with drones and start doing it the old fashion way. Pony express.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Amazon works great for me. I ordered The Wire Blu-ray at 9am yesterday morning. 6 hours later I had it in my hands. I am definitely "pro-Amazon". :happy088:

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011: I have the same experience with Amazon Prime.

19. Mr. Shaverman

I know, I've been an Amazon customer since the 90's. But everything I bought was sold and shipped by Amazon.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    inconceivable.jpg