An Ebay Rant

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bill, May 5, 2007.

?

Do You Ever Say Anything To Sellers Like This?

Poll closed May 25, 2007.
  1. No... it doesn't do any good.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No... I am afraid they may hurt me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No... it's none of my business.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Yes... I am polite though

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Yes... and usually with a little sarcasm

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Once in a while... just to feel I might do some good

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Not often... but I'm sendin' him to your page this time.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

My buddy, Phil, brought this auction to my attention. :shocked029

http://tinyurl.com/2g946n

What are some of these sellers thinking? Do they think we are all ill informed AND gullable? What could they possibly gain by misrepresenting the truth in this fashion? That they fool someone without knowledge into bidding and then rely on the fact that they won't get a negative feedback response because the buyer is afraid of getting one in return... is that it?

I am really glad that eBay has adopted the new feedback system. It allows the buyer to leave a positive, but then gives multiple choice options that can warn other buyers about things like inaccurate descriptions, inflated shipping charges, and communication. An average is then posted with the sellers feedback and they have no way of knowing who left them the less-than-complimentary responses.

Notice that the razor has been badly re-pinned and put in what looks like De-Fi scales. Those scales are ok for some razors, but this one?... give me a break.

In the meantime, someone needs to send this guy to my "MINT" page. ::kar

2. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

To be Mint or not to be Mint.

Bill , I went over your minthy page...

Where do you come up with these phrasings ?

" Same seller... same description... same blurry picture... Now you need to be bitch-slapped"

:rofl

About the blurry pictures , my Lord do I get Worked up over those specially as a beginner straight guy looking for nice vintage one to be re-scaled its a nightmare to see if they are overhoned or not I dont have the trained eye yet like folks like , Lynn, Joe,Bill, Peter, Robert have....

3. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

Your poll has a question that refers to some unsaid statement. What's the statement?

4. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

JAIL :happy026

JP... It's one of those trick questions. It's kinda like you would first have to go to the link to the eBay page where the seller calls a POS razor "MINT" when it clearly is not "MINT".

Then you might have to remember what the guy wrote in order to come back to the thread and know that the question on the poll was directly related to the seller's dishonesty. As you can see by the results so far, we have three sissies amongst us who wouldn't say anything to him... :scared003 :happy068

The whole thread was just intended to be funny. Don't worry that you didn't get it... Not everyone understands my humor.

5. ruraldean

ruraldean New Member

Well I'd definitely say something if I were interested in buying. (And, BTW, I worked out you have to view the link first). :D

6. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Bill, your page would make a great eBay guide. I always post numerous close pictures of the razors I sell but I need to include more in the description. I'll look to your page for every razor I sell.

I've looked it up but what is patina? I know some antique vendors want it. Obviously, that's not the same for a straight razor.

7. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Patina, to me, is that discoloration similar to leaving the silverware out for many months exposed to the air... only it's a little different.

Primarily, you cannot feel it with your fingers as you can with rust. It's just kinda hazy and grayish, maybe with a hint of earthtones in it. Perfectly clear for you, now... right?

The last razor on the "mint" page has some patina to the right of the hallmark in the middle of the blade. Razor collectors don't usually want this removed if it is present. It kinda validates the age. After all, how many things keep their "shiny" after 100 years of use?

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

So I'll conclude yes for collectors but no for users. Thanks.