An Inspired Shave

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by RyX, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I thought I'd read you made scales. Those are excellent!

TestDepth and RyX like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As for me, I'd say I've become a "fast learner" here. Thus, I'd say "Hey what is this Rte 66, Chiseled Face, Stirling, Local Gent, Jeeves...that I read from members' shaves? I've tried all of these, and like them a lot. Then there are some I've seen that I'd LIKE to try, but my current budget won't let me...Bill Neumann(Wm. Neumann CO.)for one. I did get some samples and thought they were wonderful.

TestDepth, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This shaved inspired by @Drygulch who sold me a big Double Duck, @Timwcic who shaved with a DD today and @twhite who made the brush handle.

IMG_4666.jpg

brit, Primotenore, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The pipe and bow razors are very cool. I think old classics should have some patina. I don't have the skills for restoration so I have to buy them that way or go with my fixation for modern artisans. My first razor was an ugly beater of a razor, a Whipped Dog Sight Unseen razor. It was ugly to but to me it was beautiful.

My best dog was rescued from the pound, so we were never sure of her true DNA but she was a type of hound X coyote mix. My woman current has four dogs she saved. Three were from the street and one was waiting to become stew. She saved from in front of dog meat restaurant. Good thing she walked by right before lunchtime. His name is 'Lucky."

sdguero, jtspartan, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Funny, my oldest rescue dogs name is Lucky too. 14 yrs old. I found her on the street, after talking with area kids, who said about 5-6 litter mates had already been run over. I surprised my 6 yrs old son with it, when he got home from school. Toughest dog I ever saw. Now she is half blind, very arthritic, incontinent, smelly, and almost deaf. Still a great dog.

sdguero, jtspartan, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Use of Latha, Sandalwoods, and mixed soaps all inspired by @Screwtape, so I used the ‘sister’ brush to his as well.
    E9970D12-4A01-4391-9B2F-9102B026E861.jpeg

brit, PLAla, Primotenore and 7 others like this.
  7. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 4.2.2018
    Brush: RazoRock synthetic
    Soap: Arko stick (inspired by the April 30 DC)
    Razor: Gillette NEW SC (inspired by Jason's @jtspartan razor focus in March)
    Blade: Generic "Best Choice" DE (Made in Vietnam) (1)
    Post-shave: Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Jeris Musk for Men AS / Cologne
    sotd 4.2.2018.jpg

8. brit

brit in a box

Primotenore, Keithmax, MR41 and 4 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

April 7th 30DC Inspired Shave
    Gillette SA-84
    7 O’Clock SP (blues) from @Keithmax
    First Canadian Maximo Gomez SS inspired by @Screwtape yesterday!
    WD HM Badger/ Cypress wood from @RyX
    Thayers
    Jeeves of Hudson St. Tobacco/Bay Leaf AS purchase inspired by @PLAla
    268A8DD1-6817-498C-9AB4-3300AA986EAE.jpeg

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 04092018 Kai 5th.gif New to TSD member @deniro444 inspired me to dust off a razor that was getting close to my trade goods pile. He's just starting out, but that doesn't mean his gear is Newbie Grade. I don't know how close an R89 is to a 23c, but I'm a happy Omega & Proraso user.

Primotenore, DaltonGang, brit and 6 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This one is for Neal.

Cartel direct Astra, from the Tsar himself.
    Gillette 195
    @jtspartan Tuxedo 30DC Brush
    Arko!!!!!!
    The only AS anyone needs

[​IMG]

Primotenore, brit, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  12. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Tuesday Budget Shave
    SOTD 4.10.2018
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH Boar (part of a VDH shave kit)
    Soap: VDH Deluxe ($1.99 at Shopko)
    Razor: "Pacific" TTO ($1.00 at Dollar Tree)
    Blade: "Pacific" DE blade (2) (came with the razor)
    Post-shave: Assured WH ($1.00 at Dollar Tree), AFTA Skin Conditioner Original (about $2.25 at Walmart), Barbasol Brisk AS (I think it was about $1.75 at Dollar General)

Inspired by @SharptoothC who has been using his $1 Pacific razor the last couple of days, and @Str8on2 who has been using his "Dollar Tree" $1 razor (I believe packaged under the banner of "Assured" which is the store brand), I decided I needed to try this razor again. I used the "Pacific" once before last October on 3 days worth of stubble and I was not impressed at that time: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dollar-tree-1-safety-razor.57499/page-2. My Pacific razor was still loaded with the same Pacific blade I had tried initially so I just left it. Since I was going with the budget razor, I selected other budget products to go with it.

As to the razor: I was impressed this time! I think part of it is my technique has improved a lot since last summer when I joined TSD. It was an easy 2 pass shave. No blood. No irritation. Of course, I had only 24 hours growth this time, but the razor provided me with a remarkably CFS.

It goes with saying really, the VDH Deluxe soap and brush work great! The post shave products are terrific, and when you consider the price, they're fantastic!

Happy shaves everyone!
    sotd 4.10.2018.2.jpg

Str8on2, Primotenore, brit and 7 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Inspired by @M14Shooter and his beautiful NOS Johann Breidohr 19, I hoped to join him with my own Breidohr Las Cruces 14.
    Whipped up some Razz Bocket Mango Folie with a Shavemac D01 Silvertip. Wonderful razor maker and shave!
    C1AD01C1-BD74-4B1F-B514-F13CACCC5FC3.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom.

brit, Primotenore, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Inspired by Kerry @RaZorBurn123 noting TSD being mentioned in an article in THIS thread.
    SOTD 04152018 G-WS 1st.gif
    Like Bill @Edison Carter, I molest the Barbasol. Dispense a dose into my bowl, punch it down with a moist brush, even add more water for a decent lather.

PLAla, jtspartan, Primotenore and 6 others like this.
  15. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

@DaltonGang you inspired my shave tonight, as close to a copy as I can get. Right before I was going to shave I saw your post, and thought it was a good combination.
    I also used my 1955 Russian straight
    Synthetic brush I won in TSD’s auction
    Arko soap
    Shulton Old Spice
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, Linuxguile, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Just stumbled upon this thread. Very nice @brit
    I 'Titaniced' my way through my puck o' Tabac and even thought there is a back up puck stashed, I am reticent about cracking open new soaps until I finish off a few more old ones. One of the greats!

brit, Linuxguile, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm glad you found the thread. Since much of my product choices were inspired by others, I suspected there were folks to be thanked for their inspiration. You got named!

Linuxguile, Primotenore and TestDepth like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

inspired by wchnu..have been watching fuzzy s videos on the tube. thought i would try my canadian old type. its in mint shape so i didn t use it until now.i have others.next will be my canadian schick e-2. thank you wchnu.
    great vids ,great shave. 20180610_100216.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Linuxguile, RyX and TestDepth like this.
  19. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Very nice razor, but what a Beautiful Brush. What is it?

TestDepth and RyX like this.
  20. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don’t know exactly. :)
    I was the second owner and all I knew was that it was supposedly a custom Shavemac handle with a fan D01 Silvertip. I got lucky with this one.