And a straight razor built for two. Ok, a bicycle built for two.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NapalmCola, Jan 6, 2016.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I know you can only tell so much from a picture but does this look in decent enough shape that I can be honed and used ? I looked it over for cracks as well as I could . I need to keep a jewelers loop on me when I'm out scouting for treasure.
    The etching is interesting and all but if it isn't usable I would hate to spend the cash on it.
    uploadfromtaptalk1452124323327.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1452124328998.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1452124332630.jpg

45auto likes this.
  2. NapalmCola

While there is very little about the Imperial Safety Co ( Imperial Co ?). One other person bought one awhile back and seemed to like it. The thread didn't go into any history regarding the razor or the company.
    I came across an antique auction website stating that it is from late 1800th century. 1890 - 1900 is what they dated it. Could this razor really be from 1890 - 1900 ? Did they even have bicycles like thus back then ?
    If anyone knows some info about this razor and /or company please enlighten me with your knowledge.
    Thanks

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They certainly did have tandem cycles around that time period
    Here's one from 1897
    SafariScreenSnapz038.jpg

Adolf Kastor's Imperial Razor Co. (1893-1938) NY, USA.
    You'll find a number of the Imperials with some sort of blade etching (Army/Navy; Patriotic eagle)...

Heres another Imperial depicting a more modern mode of transport...
    SafariScreenSnapz042.jpg

45auto and NapalmCola like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Anyone else see a crack above the rust spot towards the tip of the blade?

5. NapalmCola

Thanks for the eye for detail. I will be getting 10x loop tomorrow and then taking a closer look at the areas that everyone notices.

6. NapalmCola

Very neat information on the company. Now I just need to take a much closer look at it and decide if it's worth buying.
    For some reason I just had a hard time believing it could be that old. Or that they had tandem bicycles back then.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

On my home monitor, I see it now what you're describing (viewed these on my phone before).
    Odd place for a crack—if thats what it is. If not a crack, it may simply be a horizontal mark from where the blade has repeatedly hit the edge or in contact with the scales. Pretty common with some of these old blades as they lose some alignment with use.

45auto and entropy1049 like this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I don't see the crack. The blade looks fine to me. Just needs honing.

9. NapalmCola

I cleaned it up a bit and it looks like the crack near the rear wheel was oil or shadows (?). I did pick up a 16x jewelers loop and with my untrained eye the possible crack towards the toe looks like a scratch that may have caught a show just right ? It didn't jump out as an obvious crack under the magnifier.
    If after a quick wipe down and a close up picture if it still looks like it is there It probably is and I will have it looked at when I send it out to be honed.
    New closeup picture of blade.

uploadfromtaptalk1452294995150.jpg

45auto, PLANofMAN and Drygulch like this.
  10. NapalmCola

Is there anyone in particular that is a member of The Shave Den that can hone a blade without removing the etching?

Or is it slightly worn down each time it is honed and/or sharpened no matter what ?

I have watched videos from sixxgun where he uses tape on the spine (?) of the blade. Does anyone know if he does straight razor stuff just for himself as a hobby or does he also do work for others ?

Is he is a member here in the Den ? If so I can pm him.

Thanks

11. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

mrchick and NapalmCola like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Glen can do it and the honing will have no effect on the blade etching. Simply steel removal along the edge.

NapalmCola likes this.
  13. NapalmCola

Thank you very much. I will send him a pm.

From my understanding honing can be different from one person to the next. Not only experience, technique, and quality of equipment but the extent of fineness they take the blade out to.

Or am I wrong and they all pretty much do the same thing ?

I have sent two straights out to be honed and one had a small crack and could not be done and the other is great. I didn't think to ask how far out it had been taken. I watched a video after it was returned that said it is important to know. Any truth to it ?

I would like to try more than one straight honed/sharpened by more than one person , especially if they are taken out to different sharpness . To see if I can tell a difference.

14. NapalmCola

Great, one of the things that appeals to me is the etching on blades. I have seen so many that are faded I wasn't sure if it was normal from just sharpening and use.
    What would cause it then ?

15. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Glen is highly reccomended and he will even let you choose the stone you want it to be honed and finished on. The only reason I haven't went through him is the pricing chart. It was kinda confusing to me.

NapalmCola likes this.
  16. NapalmCola

I have been trying to navigate the website my self. You did better than me, you were able to find a pricing chart :)

I just sent an email. I'm sure he will walk me through it.

Choose the stones, sounds interesting. I don't know enough to know what I would be choosing between.

I just read some stop at 8k and others can go all the way up to 30k.

Getting the mirrored polish is extra I'm sure. I'm not sure if it's pretty much the cost of honing in the first place or less. It probably varies on the condition too.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

He will make recommendations based upon his experience from having done thousands of razors. Rest assured you'll get a shave-ready razor with a fine edge.

NapalmCola and 45auto like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Most definitely!