...And why not the electric wet-shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by engrsaks, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I agree completely.

2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

The point is simple. My claims are not claims but observations. Like I said, I am not going through all this effort to promote something. Personally, I don't like the approach from most men who believe the following

"if you are getting a poor shave with DE/straight, your technique is poor. If you are getting poor shave with cartridge or electric, the tool is poorly designed and is a gift that came straight from hell."

3. Shaver X

No, it doesn't look at all like you are trying to promote electric shavers, but simply telling of a solution that worked well for you. I also don't think that any particular razor type will automatically be best for all individuals, or that a particular product type should be rejected out of hand. The members on traditional wetshaving forums are not all individuals, however, but a very specific subset. Relating experiences of excellent safety razor shaves on an electric razor forum would probably get responses similar to what you have seen here. Is it is not always logical, but perhaps to be expected. This article describes some common biases, of which you might find some that apply especially in special interest groups or forums of any sort.

Cartridge and electric razors are generally more forgiving of technique than safety razors. Holding a cartridge razor or an electric at a sub-optimal angle, shaving very quickly or pressing too hard will result in a less than perfect shave, but for many men one that is still good enough. Do that with a safety razor or a straight, and the results will typically be quite unpleasant.

If someone gets poor quality shaves with a DE, it might well be technique, but then again it could be the blade or the razor. If you look around the wetshaving forums, you will see plenty of posts about how a particular blade works especially well or poorly, or how razor Brand X sucked or Brand Y totally rocks. If that isn't acknowledgement that tools are also a factor, I don't know what is.

We have a cartridge razor sub-forum here. You might want to propose opening an electric shave sub-forum, too, if you think it would be worthwhile.

InspiringK and engrsaks like this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

For the last 3-4 days (starting whenever it was I originally replied to the thread) I've been using my Norelco Aquatec to see if my thoughts about it changed. Nope. They haven't at all. I've used it both wet and dry. I've gotten nothing like a DFS out of it although the shave ends up better when doing wet over dry. While the shave has been quick, it has not been good. I will let it remain as my travel razor and leave you to your electric contraptions. Enjoy your shave!

Bama Samurai and Metro like this.
  5. engrsaks

Did you know that rotary shavers have been a flop from the very beginning? :happy068: . It is like you shaved with Bic's cartridge razor and claimed all cartridge razors (including proglide) to be poor. People can get a good shave out of it but never a close shave (just like yours). For BBS, Panasonic and Braun are the best. But, Panasonic is better than Braun in terms of price and manual cleaning of the blades. I personally know a member here who advised me to steer clear of norelco. You simply had a poor luck in terms of acquiring a good shaver.

6. Mr. Shaverman

Okay.

7. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

To somewhat reiterate what Saad was saying, I think what your experience tells you is Norelco isn't a good shaver for you. I don't know that you can say conclusively that electrics as a whole are a lousy option, based solely on how the Norelco shaved you. It could be you wouldn't like Panasonic shavers any better, but then again, you might. Based on my experience (and I have have had a couple Norelcos in the past), Panasonics are in a different class altogether.

engrsaks likes this.
  8. engrsaks

There is a hybrid shaver from Hitachi (complete Japan made) in which the blade unit rotates but you use it like a foil shaver. Hitachi G sword.

img5582abef3807c_l.jpg img_09.jpg

According to Hitachi, this hybrid shaver can deliver a much more efficient shave than reciprocating foil shavers (such as braun and panasonic) with less chances of hair getting missed.

ilts likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

I'm not saying any of that. I was merely posting my experiences with a product. i have no interest in pursuing electric shaving. Enjoy your shave!

InspiringK likes this.
  10. engrsaks

In couple of days I will purchase a Philips aquatouch rotary shaver and upload its detailed and honest review. I can easily tell, you are being unfair with your tool. Enjoy your shave, Sir.

11. engrsaks

Has anyone ever shaved with this schick shaver?

and

I do sometimes wonder why Schick pulled itself out of electric shaver competition. I'm sure Schick would have been the most reputable brand, if they stayed in electric shaver market.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Darkbulb likes this.
  12. engrsaks

Purchased the Philips Powertouch Rotary shaver (PT-720). Will shave with it tomorrow and upload my review :)

[​IMG]

13. engrsaks

Alright, so today I had a complete shave with Philips Norelco Powertouch PT-720 (Made in Netherlands). Following are my observations and techniques that I used to get BBS :)

• The PT-720 charges way faster than my Panasonic ES-SL41. Charging was complete in 4 hours. It was expected though, PT-720 has a Lithium-ion (LI-ION) battery. This battery charges faster and supports high rated rpm motors (10k and above)
    • Both PT-720 and ES-SL41 can be used on a wet, lathered face.
    • When compared with any foil shaver, the rotary philips shaver has way less blade noise level 69db (decibels). This is very helpful when you are relying on blade feedback sound to adjust/make a perfect stroke.
    • The flexible three blades made my shaving on chin, jawline and near adam's apple, a lot easier than foil. I got a BBS there in a single pass.
    • The PT-720 blades easily become hot and require a little more cooling under the faucet with cold water.
    • Rotary shaver is, without a doubt, more aggressive than foil shaver but still very smooth on the skin. I was able to get BBS in two passes.
    • My first pass started on the neck AGT. I used counter clockwise circular motion for each stroke. Don't forget, these shavers shouldn't be used with straight strokes.
    • Second pass started on neck again, AGT and used clockwise circular motion for each stroke (BBS achieved without any need for touchups)
    • The section near Adam's apple has couple of inflammations. I was expecting it to happen because rotary shavers are combination of WTG,XTG and ATG blade cut. It will adjust over time, I'm sure.
    • Blades can be easily rinsed without leaving any residuals inside.
    • There is no trimmer on this model, but higher ones have those. I really don't care about it.
    • Blade cleaning is quite tricky. I won't be cleaning these after every shave but after every 7th shave.
    • The "lift and cut" blades really do work on flat lying whiskers (Provided that you make a good stroke).
    • When compared with foil shaver, this one was a quicker shave. I was able to get a quick BBS around chin, jawline and adam's apple. Plus, the prominent feedback of blades helped me a lot.
    • $60 for two years worth of daily shave, seems like a very decent price to me.

Well that is all. I guess, it is safe to say that both rotary and foil shavers give a good shave. YMMV of course. :)

DSC_0816.JPG

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Darkbulb and Shaver X like this.
  14. Shaver X

That selling point is similar to the one used for multiblade cartridges. My own experience with a Norelco is that it does indeed lift and cut, which gave me a lot of ingrown hairs. It was the only razor of any type with which I had this problem. The Norelco did not work that well for me, but any razor that has been on the market for decades must work reasonably well, if not better, for many people.

Sounds like a very good price to me, too. It is about the same as price as using a safety razor and double edge blades for the same time period, and substantially less than a multiblade cartridge. How would you compare the shave quality to a safety razor and a multiblade cartridge razor?
    Indeed. You did a well written and informative review, one which shows additional options available for shavers of all sorts. Have you ever considered mirroring your review on the Reddit shaving sub-reddit? Unlike The Shave Den and the other traditional wetshaving forums, it is a general interest shaving forum (more of these are likely to appear). Electric shavers, safety razors, cartridge razors, straight razors... "whatever works is good" seems to be the view there. I am not saying you shouldn't post at TSD too, but the information you are presenting here is now being largely ignored. It deserves better than that in my opinion. The people who started these threads on /r/shaving, on the other hand, would very much benefit from your input and experiences, and especially your reviews:
    • Philips, Philishave 1621?
    • My Electric Shaver just died. Need recommendations for a replacement.
    • Eletric shaver that can give a close shave?
    That is just my opinion, however. Regardless of where you choose to post, I hope you - and all the others reading this - get great shaves every day using whatever tools you choose.

engrsaks likes this.
  15. engrsaks

Man, that is just... :( . I understand your point, posting my reviews and techniques on shavers won't help anyone here. It would be best I discontinue at this point. Thanks.

Shaver X likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Looks like it is :( for me, too. I just did a search for factory replacement microscreens and cutting heads for my Remington Triple Foil 300. No luck. All I could find was the truly awful Chinese-made replacements. And the Triple Foil 300s are being sold on eBay as "vintage"! It is to be expected, I guess, as the shaver is 30 years old. Even so, it is kind of a shame that it's usefulness is effectively ended due to lack of replacement parts. The old Remington does make a good travel razor when flying, and is reportedly better than current Remington products. Ah well engrsaks, I guess we can't worry too much, eh? It looks like we both have found shaving methods that suit us very well. For that we can be :) .

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

Two more observations :
    • Rotary shavers do exfoliate the skin way more thoroughly than foil shavers. After the shave, my skin glows, as if I shaved with a DE razor.
    • The BBS shave achieved with a rotary shaver, stays for quite more hours than foil shaver. I guess it is one of the perks of using "lift and cut" blades by Philips.

18. engrsaks

To be honest, I enjoy shaving as a whole activity. Restricting myself to one method just seems so dull. There are so many razors, creams, soaps and other products to explore, why limit myself to just one? I enjoy both my electric shavers, cartridge razors and DE razors, because it is a good shave that I am after and not a method. If philips does discontinue this shaver, I will always manage to find a better alternative by the same brand. The process of exploring products, making observations, collecting data, figuring out the best technique that explains why it worked so well one way and not the other, is what I am after. I observe every activity/task of my life as an engineer, even shaving.

19. Shaver X

It depends what a given individual's goals are. You stated yours, which includes using many different products, including different razor types. Mine was simply to find a razor which looked cool, which gave me great shaves, and for which refill blades or replacement parts were not a problem, and were available at a reasonable cost. I found that with a safety razor and double edge blades, which also gave me the best shaves. I am not inclined to buy a new electric razor just because the manufacturer has discontinued replacement parts. They should keep making the replacement parts.

Unlike some others here, I got reasonably good shaves from both electric and cartridge razors. I don't really care about the razor type I am using as long as it works well, and as long as replacement parts or blades aren't a problem. Many people on The Shave Den had bad luck with electrics or cartridges, and so are not inclined to go back and try them again. That is especially true given that they have found a shaving method and tools with which they are happy.

20. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I can't use them. The after effect is burn and itch. Even if I shave wet with it. Besides I can get closer with a 1 pass cart shave with the Proglide.

engrsaks likes this.