...And why not the electric wet-shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by engrsaks, Sep 30, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Well, it is said that it takes a month for your skin to adapt itself with electric shaving. I do get itching and some inflammations with my Philips rotary shaver. Let's see how long does this issue last.

Justin Linker likes this.
  2. engrsaks

Bought this new piece for $30 as a collectible. Something about it was quite nostalgic, reminded me of those 80s-90s electronics which were purely made in Japan. I don't get to see pure Japanese products at all now, here in Pakistan.

BTW,It gave me an equally close shave as other shavers. Pure BBS :)

DSC00235.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  3. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

If you can get a BBS with that thing, the first time you used it, I'm beginning to think your beard doesn't present much of a challenge. How was the comfort factor? I'll grant, the retro-coolness factor is pretty high.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I used electrics for 40 years and always thought you were supposed to scream like that when you put on the after shave. My face always hurt. Not now.

engrsaks likes this.
  5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Poor squirrel!

engrsaks likes this.
  6. engrsaks

Well, my first pass was with Mach-3 ;) and then I used this shaver for remaining micro-stubble (thanks to you). Compared to Arc-3 and Philips, I don't think a person can shave with this shaver alone and get a pure BBS. It is good for the finishing job but will discharge quickly if you use it on a one day growth. One thing is for sure, shorter the stubble, easier and better will be the results. :)

7. engrsaks

It has Ni-CD battery which takes 8 hours to recharge and discharges pretty quickly. Motor is not strong and it is pretty noisy. Since I used it on my remaining stubble after the first pass with Mach-3, It got the job done easily without causing any irritation or tugging.

8. Jerry-built Hustler

As you probably know, you have to let Ni-CD discharge completely before recharging, or else you will shorten the battery life. It's possible prior owners didn't follow this rule, and the battery might already be have a diminished capacity.

engrsaks likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Poor face!

45auto likes this.
  10. engrsaks

I didn't know about it, Mr. Nathan. Thank you for the info, I'll keep it in mind. It is not going to be my "go to shaver" and I will use it rarely. To tell the truth, it is the only electric item in my house which is old and purely made in Japan. :). I just love the look of 80s-90s electronics, especially the ones which were manufactured in Japan and USA. That beauty is long lost now in products that come with the tag , "Made in China".

11. engrsaks

Poor Whiskers ;)

12. Jerry-built Hustler

This is interesting. I just checked my Panasonic shavers. My ES8243 (Arc 4) is indeed made in Japan. However, I recently bought the ES8103S (Arc 3). I noticed when I got it that it didn't feel as well made or solid as the ES8243, but I didn't bother to check where it was made; I just assumed it, too, was made in Japan. I just did check it, and sure enough, it's made in China. Now I'm wondering where Panasonic draws the line for its place of manufacture. According to Amazon's Q&A, the ES8243 is still made in Japan, so it seems like Panasonic is using China for its lower-model shavers.

engrsaks likes this.
  13. engrsaks

My ES-Sl41 is made in China :( . The body feels cheap but the blades and inner mechanism don't. The Philips PT-720 shaver is made in Netherlands and feels much better when you hold it in your hand. By the way, are you aware of any brands that design(ed) and manufacture(d) electric shavers in USA (even if vintage)?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  14. engrsaks

I think this one is made in the USA, but I am still unsure.

15. Jerry-built Hustler

There's conflicting information in the Amazon Q&A. Given the price, I'd be surprised if it was made in the USA, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

I could tell you what other brands might be.

engrsaks likes this.
  16. engrsaks

And I definitely would love to know. :)

17. Jerry-built Hustler

It's not a razor, but the Oster Classic 76 hair clipper is still made in the USA.

engrsaks likes this.
  18. Jerry-built Hustler

Oops...that was a typo. I meant to say, I couldn't tell you what other brands are made in the USA. I really have no idea.

engrsaks likes this.
  19. engrsaks

Oh no problem .

20. engrsaks

Found this one. I was going to order it but the importing service is charging way more than it normally does. The reason : it is an electric/electronic item. :( . I just love the print on the tag.

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg