...And why not the electric wet-shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by engrsaks, Sep 30, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

So there is one observation in foil shavers that I found to be very interesting. It seems that Hitachi has "whisker whacking blades" while Arc-3 has true slicing blades.

Hitachi blade

[​IMG]

As you can see, the blade edges are designed on top. These blades cut whiskers in quick succession, turning your whiskers into fine dust like particles (one of the reasons why these underperformed on long hair). I believe, such kind of cutting action requires more thorough and repeated strokes on one section. I tried shaving my one day growth with hitachi and it was frustrating. Not just that, the shaver gave up its charging in the middle of the process :p. This shaver performs well when I do my first pass with a manual razor.

Panasonic Arc-3 blades

[​IMG]

The Panasonic arc-3 blades have edges on both sides of the steel loops. The edges are super sharp (don't try rubbing the finger there) and slice the whiskers away quite more efficiently and quickly.

Another point that I would like to add is, you can shave with a non-washable shaver using your wet shave prep and rinsing. But, it can only happen if you don't let the water drip down inside the body of the shaver. My hitachi shaver is not water resistant, but can still deliver a good shave with a wet face having lather on it. :)

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I'm flashing back to my first Remington, which was the first thing I ever shaved with, when I was 14. It had the same kind of blades your Hitachi does. I never liked the way it shaved. It did fine on my 14-year-old peach fuzz, but when I actually had some real whiskers, it didn't do well. I kept it until I was 17, at which time I switched to the brand-new Sensor. I liked the Sensor so much better.

Every now and again, someone posts the electron microscope pictures of whiskers sheared with an electric shaver, which look horribly ragged. I wonder if those were cut with the Hitachi-type blades (or possibly rotary blades), rather than the Panasonic Arc blades. It seems to me the Panasonic blades would deliver a more precise cut than the ones shown in the micrograph.

[​IMG]

Razor blade cut on left, electric shaver cut on right

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    engrsaks likes this.
  3. engrsaks

Thank you for sharing your experience and observation, Mr.Nathan. I can't be certain but theoretically, only old electric shaving technology can deliver such horrible results. The edges on my hitachi blades are not sharp. I can rub my finger on those with some pressure and still won't get a cut. Same can't be said with Panasonic edges as these sharp ends immediately hang on to your skin if you rub sideways, moving your finger from loop to loop.

Philips norelco rotary shaver also has quite a sharp edge. I was cleaning the rotary blades thoroughly with the provided brush, accidently rubbed the bristle on the edge and it was sliced off easily.

Norelco HQ-9 Blades

[​IMG]

I believe that old electric shaving technology should only be used for dry touchups and not complete shaving job like we do with modern ones. Motor is weak, charging doesn't last long and the edges aren't anywhere near being sharp.

But I do have a question here, does it really matter how well your whisker is sliced off if you shave everyday?

Edit: Alright, I'm now sure that the hair on the right isn't cut with modern shaver blade. The modern norelco and arc-3 blades are angled at 30 degrees, while the hair in the micrograph seems to have been constantly whacked at flat angle. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use a preshave powder stick when I use my Norelco Spectra and It always gives me a smooth comfortable shave. If you are new to electric shavers you have to give them at least up to a month of daily use for your skin to adjust to them. The minor scar tissue that manual razor shaving causes has to heal first and then you will get your best shaves with an electric. I also own a Philips Sensotouch 3D, and a Braun Cool-Tec, and they are both comfortable smooth shavers, and I can put on aftershave afterwards without it burning on my face like it does after wetshaving. However I prefer wetshaving when time allows.

Clayton

engrsaks likes this.
  5. chevyguy

The picture also makes me wonder if the shaver heads were dull and worn out. You gotta change them at least once every two years.

Clayton

engrsaks likes this.
  6. engrsaks

Yes, on my Philips shaver, it has been emphasized again and again (booklet, outer pack and on the shaver's back) to change the blades once every 2 years.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  7. engrsaks

I like to incorporate both manual razor and electric shaver in my every single wet-shaving session (pretty accustomed, now I am). The manual razor first reduces the beard growth and the electric shaver, later on, adds that neat shiny face look with a BBS feel. I prefer Norelco rotary shaver because it makes far less noise and delivers the same result as Panasonic foil shaver. Plus, I like the way it is used in circular massaging style.

As far as issues of skin compatibility with electric shaver are concerned, I haven't experienced any because I like using these shaver in my wet-shaving routine and not dry. Norelco does give me ingrowns at the very end of the neck, I simply don't shave with it over there and use the manual razor only. So far, everything in the garden is rosy as I am getting the best shaves of my life. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  8. chevyguy

I believe there is no wrong way to shave. You do what works the best for you. I can shave either with an electric dry, or wetshave with my Feather MR3 Neo Cartridge Razor and get the same smooth results every time. Not always with a DE. I also prefer Norelco's. My 12 year old Spectra is my favorite, the 3D comes in second.

Clayton

mrchick and engrsaks like this.
  9. engrsaks

... And here I am planning my next acquisition - The Norelco 9300 shaver. :)

10. chevyguy

You are gonna like the 9300. Keep me updated.

Clayton

engrsaks likes this.