Android stuff

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sol92258, Mar 29, 2011.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ooops. Yeah, I tried convo and wasn't thrilled by it. I'll have to try the native browser (dolphin browser and opera work OK, but a lot of scrolling involved)

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Look toward the top of the page...PanChango mentioned Convo as a free alternative. I haven't tried it or looked it up, but apparently it's out there

Nevermind....:p

3. richgem

Thanks. I've tried it and wasn't wowed. But, I guess it'll do barring something else. 'Course there's always browser access.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I know it isnt the best, but I would rather use it than use a browser on my phone.

On the tablet, the browser isn't bad at all.

5. sol92258

yeup, just use the browser on my work ipad (is Tapatalk even available for IOS? Really don't check much for it...don't really feel like paying for apps for a device that isn't mine....nor do I really feel like supporting apple :))

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

yes tapatalk is available on the ipad. I use it on the ipad because otherwise the browser bugs me nonstop about using tapatalk. On the ios the PM feature has worked for a long time through tapatalk. Really, it looks like what is new in 2.0 was what they had on IOS for a while. Sux

7. sol92258

now that you mention it, I do recall seeing that popup for tapatalk for a while...I started cursing at it, and it stopped...silly apple :)
    ok, seriously, it did it only a couple of times, so it hasn't been a bother.

and, if I remember correctly, we used to have PM function in tapatalk with TSD before the software change...I could be mistaken, though

8. richgem

Same thing on 'droid only cursing doesn't seem to help. (It seems to pop up sometimes and not others.)

9. sol92258

yeah, it did it on my phone for awhile after the forum software change-over here, and I hadn't reconfigured tapatalk for TSD my previous phone died and they sent me this replacement (I knew there was something, I couldn't recall what, though :))

10. sol92258

Okay, so I wanted to mention an app I just found a couple days ago, that I've really found to be rather good on my phone (Droid 2), even though it's about a year old, and still in Beta, and that is Fede's Music App.
    I found it while looking for a Zune music app for Android, just for shiggles, and stumbled across this guy's (who is also the creator for LauncherPro) app. However, when I went to look for somewhere to link to the app (you have to download the .apk and side install it), I discovered that since then, that app has matured and is actually in the Marketplace on Google Play (still getting used to that) as UberMusic. The app is not free, but the beta is, and it looks and performs just like the Zune app on WP7. It's fast, response, and probably the best music app (in terms of pure performace) that I've tried yet. I can't say for the newer UberMusic, since I've only just found it and not too interested in spending $3.49 for it when the beta works great for me, but I probably will just to support the developer.
    I tend to use Amazon music, or Google Music (not the native app...talk about epic fail, there), both are pretty good, with cloud storage and streaming, and also local - but they take a while to load and get laggy (at least on my phone....), while this beta app loads up and starts playing just about as fast as I can tap on it.

Just FYI :)

EDIT: just looked at my .apk, it's actually the Alpha2 version...it's not event he Beta version! :rofl:

11. sol92258

done started leaning back toward Galaxy Nexus again, instead of RAZR Maxx....last week the two prices were the same on Amazon, but I just noticed the Nexus dropped to $149 - very compelling :)...then again, it may be preemptive for likely/rumored Galaxy S3 to be announced soon

12. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Does this music app have anything to do with Zune? It would be nice to find something that would allow me to access my zune account on my Droid X. Currently I'm using Google Music and I love that.

13. sol92258

no, unfortunately there's nothing I've found that will do that, and M$ will probably never allow one, since they want their mobile OS to succeed. But, the interface of the player is really responsive, faster than Google music and Amazon Cloud player, both of which I use a lot

14. sol92258

...and the Galaxy Nexus is on. It's. WAY! :happy108:

PanChango likes this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Congrats. I have had the Nexus S since last August and have to say I like the phone a lot. No bloatware was a huge plus.

16. sol92258

phone came in today finally (2-day shipping my @$$)....man, is it great. Fast. I can start from lock screen, activate camera, take a picture, and view it, in less time than my old phone could load the camera from an already unlocked state.
    Crazy fast.
    Love it so far.
    But....(there's always a but...) signal strength is showing very weak. So far call quality has been fine, and supposedly the next update that supposed to come soon, as in has_already_hit_many_phones_nationwide soon, is supposed to fix the problem. Hopefully it happens soon before my timeframe to exchange phones hits, and I'm stuck with a hit-or-miss voice device. There's plenty of complaints about bad signal quality, but all of ones I've read have been in December, and a fix has already been out since then, so maybe it's just a 4G vs 3G measuring of signal or something. So far, though, so good...

17. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Man! Congrats on the new phone! I hear they are great! I'm less than a year in on my phone contract (3 years!!!), and I have the Motorola Atrix. Stock is pretty bad on it so I went with CM7. The ICS update will be rolling out in Q3 for my phone and I am pretty psyched. (there is a dev's version out...it is choppy but so so sweet!) I hope you enjoy it! :D

18. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I'm due for a new phone this June, so I appreciate your comments on the Nexus. Thanks!

19. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

if you could wait, I'd definitely give the Samsung Galaxy III that was just announced a good look too.

20. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Verizon customers....Bionic or the Razr? I have a bias against products that bastardize the spelling of common word, but I could make an exception this time. I have a Droid X now, and I'm happy with it, but I'm due for a new one in July or August so I thought I'd at least look at what's out there.