Android stuff

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sol92258, Mar 29, 2011.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That is the one I'm leaning to, but it's pretty big. I'll just have to go check them out at the store.

2. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Between those 2 choices I'd pick the Razr Maxx. I'd also look at the Galaxy Nexus though.

5Savages likes this.
  3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

No problem! I'm loving this thing more and more. My signal is still showing weak, but I've had no problems with voice quality or connection

I've been waiting and keeping up with the SIII for a looong time now, and been really excited, but ultimately decided to go ahead with the Nexus for several reasons:
    * Nexus is "pure Google" - no carrier bloatware or added junk
    * SIII is still a few weeks from availability, and I always give new tech awhile before I jump on it, let others be the guinea pigs :)
    * SIII would be more expensive..maybe....a lot of times they have a special price on release, but there's no way to know for sure
    * rumors of the SIII only having dual-core here in the states (this was before the release yesterday, which after all the waiting I'd done for it, I never had time or got a chance to follow up on it :()
    * Nexus price suddenly dropped to $149, I'm sure in preparation for the SIII

Razr Maxx, definitely...or just the Razr if price is an issue. Like I mentioned before, I had been leaning toward the Maxx once it was announced, but then the Nexus price dropped and made it a no-brainer (I had been flipping between Razr and Nexus for weeks before the Maxx was announced, and that swayed me that way, but then the price drop...well, no-brainer :))
    Bionic is nice, my boss at my previous employment had just gotten one, but between those options, I'd definitely choose the Razr - it's newer, definitely getting ICS soon (I'm not sure about Bionic).

Just my opinion.

And by the way, ICS kicks major boo-tay :)

4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Hurray for thread revival!

Im just wondering if everyone here on android will be receiving ICS?
    My wife should be getting it this month, but Bell has yet to confirm that they will release it on my ATRIX 4G.

The good news is that AT&T is rolling it out this quarter for the ATRIX, so I can just pick it up from there (after a developer has tweaked it of course;) ).

5. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I just got it yesterday on my sprint gs2 and, I must say, I don't particularly care for it. The scrolling is abrupt and choppy now, the Gmail viewing space is tiny, and there are a few other annoyances as well. I was so excited to get it and now I'm sorry I did.

6. lradke

That's too bad! I've been playing around with a developers version of ICS for my phone, and I like the work they have done. It is a bit choppy because it came straight from source code, but it is fairly smooth and responsive. Im not a big fan of gingerbread because it messed up my compass. And now north reads west.

Is there a way to downgrade your phone? I know I can't on mine (thanks to Motorola) but I know others can downgrade if the person doesn't like the new upgrades.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Sony auto-updated my Xperia Pro phone about a month ago to ICS. Because of this, I lost a few paid-for apps that aren't compatible with ICS. Nothing important other than Bejeweled 2. That pissed me off to no end! I found a free alternative though so I'm happy. Other than that, I've not noticed any difference really.

8. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Well, perhaps the most relevant annoyance is that now this forum prompts me to download the Tapatalk app on every single page. It did that once with gingerbread, and then subsequent pages remembered my decision. With ICS, every TSD link I follow, every TSD page I view, asks me to download the Tapatalk app. Ugh.

wlmcad likes this.
  9. lradke

Tapatalk is a life saver! That's how im on the forum all the time. If you're interested, you may still be able to get it from Getjar for free (don't know if you need to be rooted or not though....). Anyway, twas worth me buying it because all the forums I associate with are on it.

10. kaiser

kaiser Member

I own European SGS2 (I9100). First ICS update (4.0.3) had scrolling that was a bit choppy but I haven't noticed other problems you mentioned. Second ICS update (4.0.4) improved scrolling, also battery life improved and other minor things. I guess it is carrier specific, because each gets its own version. I flashed unbranded firmware to avoid carrier related bloat.

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

One thing I hated about Tapatalk was if you purchased it on one platform you had to buy it again on another. Initially I had it on Android, switched to the iPhone and had to buy it there, then switched to my Blackberry and had to buy it a THIRD time. However the program is well made, so I don't supporting the developers, I'd just prefer to do it once not three times lol.

12. lradke

lol! That's too bad.

I have just been reading the developer forums and there is already a release for Jelly Bean (I love Google names) on my phone. It's still in the alpha stage, but I hear it rivals the ICS Beta rom that is out. Even though the Atrix 4G is no longer available (the Atrix HD just came out...the third generation) it looks like it will have up to date software with everyone else! This makes me really happy because I signed a 3 year contract, and I am less than a year in to it! :scared011:

13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Used to have Android and it was a decent OS, much better than iOS for my needs, but I love my BB Bold 9900 ;) That will have BBOS10 when it comes out, unfortunately it's military so I'll have it rather neutered for functions :(

14. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I'm currently viewing the forum on Jellybean via Nexus 7.
    The mobile website notified me of tapatalk only once, and everything looks nice. Think I'll stick to tapatalk for now though. If you really not interested in paying, check out blackmart.apk and that should solve your issues.

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

How you liking it? I was a breath away from pulling the trigger on it....many, many times, but I just can't justify the cost right now (even as affordable as it is)

16. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Its pretty sweet. I received the 8 gig N7 as a graduation gift, and I'm really loving it. I've been on an Android phone for over a year now, but this has major screen real estate, and is way more comfortable than the ipad.

The only complaint I have is the lack of social interaction ill be receiving due to tablet usage. Seriously, this thing proves to me that touch interface IS our future. It just works, and gets better with time.

I want to comment on how slim JB is. No bloatware or crap, just pure Google, and that's awesome.

sol92258 likes this.
  17. lradke

I would have to agree. Jellybean is pretty nice! I'm using it on my Atrix right now while I wait for ICS to make its public appearance on my phone.

The Nexus 7 looks pretty nice! I told my wife about it and she asked why anyone would want an apple product if they could buy that.

18. Epd

Epd New Member

Is anyone else using the Viewsonic Viewpad 7? I have had mine for a year now and Its the best device I have ever spent money on.
    I will admit a 7" screen is too big of a cell phone for most, but for what I use it for (jobsite PDF, emailing, googling, phone calls and most importantly fourming) its perfect.

Eric

19. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

JellyBean on a Galaxy Nexus here. I love it and I don't know that I'll ever go back to a carrier subsidized phone.