Another Travel Question

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by lamontqsanford, Dec 28, 2008.

1. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

What do you all use to whip up your lather when staying in hotels. I have no interest in face lathering so that is out. I like and have only big brushes so a coffee mug is too small. I would prefer some ideas of something plastic, that will hold a little heat. Thank you in advance.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Coffee pot??

but really.

I do not know about holding heat.. but there are several plastic containers that have screw on lids.. Glad ..Ziplock whatever.. they work good and with the screw on lid are easy to pack and keep things clean.

Fuzzy

3. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The hotel rooms ice bucket. Not pretty but works fine.

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Both great ideas but I was thinking of something I could keep in my travel bag. The ziploc containers with lids isn't a bad one. Maybe I am asking a little too much to have toasty warm lather when traveling.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you use the bowl float like Shep and I have it might work... just got to be careful about splashing too much water in.

Fuzzy

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

It was staying in a hotel that forced me to try face lathering. I haven't looked back since! I'll probably still use a bowl for whipping creams into lather, but for soaps I've found face lathering is where it's at for me. burnWood.

As to your question, I used the supplied plastic cup to soak my brush, then just set my brush on its base in between passes. The lather on the brush didn't stay warm, but it was enough to get by. Some of the nicer places actually supply coffee mugs instead of plastic...I'm sure you could get by with that.

Of course, as I re-read your post I'm realizing I totally didn't help you out at all....so maybe try one of these huge plastic insulated mugs

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Were suppose to give HELPFUL answers????

Fuzzy

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Facelathering is the bombbdizzle.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nahh nothing beats good warm lather from a bowl.. sorry bout that.

Fuzzy

10. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

FYI: I'm kind of off the bowl float method since Jackie likes to tip the bowl over and destroy my lather. It's a game apparently. One that I fail to see the humor in. :D

Lately I've just been setting the bowl inside a second bowl filled w/ hot water. Kind of an impromptu scuttle. I'd buy a scuttle, but they all look too narrow for whipping lather to me.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Still works for me I am jackie less.... :D

Fuzzy

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Small scuttle. Or a tiny bowl to keep warm in the sink and face lather. Hot water. No problemo. And the heavy glasses they keep in the hotel rooms work perfectly for it.

13. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Well, if you absolutely will not try face lathering your options are few. With a big brush I can see why a coffee mug will not work. So I offer these suggestons:

1. Face lather. It is not my preferred way of making or applying lather especially with creams, it does work, with any size brush and allows you to keep your brush and lather warm in a smaller mug between passes.

2. Get a mug that is large enough to allow face lathering with your big brush. I use a big mug (latte or cappucino) I got at Target for my everyday bowl lathering. Perhaps you can find one like that and pack it in your dopp kit. You must not forget that you can pack shaving stuff inside the mug so it will not take up that much space.

3. Get a smaller brush. That way you can always use a coffee cup and just let it sit in your sink full of hot water between passes.

4. Just quit shaving while on your trip. Of course that may not work too well if you are traveling for business or the little woman likes you clean shaven.

I don't really think you will find a satisfactory answer to your question without making some sacrifice in order to get and keep great warm lather. Good Luck in your search.

14. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Ok, don't know if this will work for you or not, just something I noodled out. Find a small shallow but wide mouth ceramic bowl that will fit in your shaving kit. Melt your soap puck in it in the microwave and then let it cool till it's set. Now you can keep it in your shaving bag and the soap won't fall out. Include a ziplock bag in your kit so if you have to pack before it airdries after shaving it won't mess up the rest of your stuff.

A bowl won't have a handle on it but it will hold heat and take up less room than a regular mug. You should be able to find something suitable in any Walmart, Garden Ridge, Pottery Barn or Goodwill type thrift store.

As previously mentioned a smaller brush for travel may be desireable.

15. mmack66

mmack66 Member

+1

16. vgod

vgod New Member

my 2 thoughts on this are:

1) go down and get coffee, and 'borrow' a cup for lathering. technically you will not be stealing it since you will leave it in the room.

2) what i do is i got a small 1 cup disposable plastic food storage bowl. melted a soap in it, and i use them for traveling and general soaping. lather in bowl, rinse lather out. easy to pack, if you forget it then you are really only out the cost of the soap. i use these at the house with a 24 mm silvertip with no issues. here is one similar to what i use. you can get these at walmart dirt cheap.
    http://rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd140004

good luck

vgod

17. straightshaver

straightshaver New Member

You can try building up the lather in your hand or buy a small bowl they will not take up much space in your travel bag