Antique Store Find

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Infotech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I found an E1 Gillette Fatboy at an Antique store. To clean it I boiled it for about 15 minutes and then scrubbed the crap out of it with scrubbing bubbles and tooth brush until I thought I thought I couldn't get anything else off. I boiled it again for about 20 minutes in a solution made up of 2 tablespoons of Borax and 1 teaspoon of salt. I did a bit more scrubbing with toothbrush and scrubbing bubbles, boiled it in plain water for 10 more minutes and then polished it up with Wright's All Purpose Metal Polish.

Is this good enough to make it shaveable, or should I do any other sanitizing?

Is it possible to over polish a razor?

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Well it is possible to polish the nickel off. I'd say you're good to go after all that. I typically just SB these days`

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'd wash it with dish soap one last time to remove any residual metal polish, otherwise I think you've done plenty. If you had a more delicate razor, you would have overdone it with the boiling.
    You can over-polish a razor; if you see brass, you've overpolished.

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Thanks for the information. I better stop trying to mirror finish the top of this thing ;) What does "SB" stand for?

I noticed that when the head is closed the silo doors don't quite line up. Can that effect shaving with it?

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sorry, I have my own code. SB = Scubbing Bubbles. When you say the silo doors don't line up do you mean there's space between them and the post? A small space should'nt matter much.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    When I do boil, I usually go for about 15 minutes. Often on a longer boil like that, I lose some of the finish where the razor lies against the bottom of the pot. Adding some aluminum foil helps. I would be confident that any critters are dead now.

If you're really worried, give it a dousing of lysol, or scrubbing bubbles. I've used both with no detriment.

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I should've known :ashamed001

No, I mean that if I hold the razor and look at the side of it while it's closed one of the doors is slightly higher than the other one. Make sense?

I did just that for one of the longer boils... Thanks.

8. Destro85

Destro85 New Member

I've just boiled the couple I own in plain water for 15 minutes and then soaked them in alcohol overnight before using them.

I haven't gotten any gangrenous wounds from them or anything, I'm sure yours are fine too.