Any Archers here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's a beaut! What is the draw weight?

BTW, Today, I completed the NFAA (National Field Archery Assn.) Level 2 instructor's course. It was fun & interesting.

macaronus likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am learning a new technique now; shooting with a finger sling. It seems to be tightening up my shot groups.

macaronus likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great! :happy088:
    I'm using a wrist sling. I used to grip the bow too tight, but the sling really helps!

A friend at the range once forgot his sling, so the bow flew out of his hand after the shot! :happy097:

Sara-s and richgem like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Any type of sling will help with you keep a loose grip. Up until now, I have used a wrist sling too. So far, I am getting better results with the finger sling, though I have just started using it, so I will hold off on drawing conclusions.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    macaronus likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Just keep on drawing your bow.

With a pencil. ;)

Sara-s likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I prefer to draw it with crayons.

macaronus likes this.
  8. richgem

Sharpies for the win. :D

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Agreed. On a recurve, that is a lot of weight.

juicy flawless likes this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I agree as well. I draw 30 lbs (recurve), and I'm glad it isn't more!

juicy flawless likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just made a batch of string wax today. It's easy & skin-safe. (Since you have to touch it, to rub it in to the string, this matters to me.) To make it, you will need a small pot for melting the ingredients, a kitchen scale and a twist-up tube or soap mold. You melt 1 oz (28 gm) of beeswax, 1/2 ounce (14 gm.) rosin and 2 tbl. (30 ml) oil. I use sweet almond oil, but any skin-safe oil will work.

You melt the ingredients together at the lowest possible temperature. Pour into twist-up tube or mold & allow to solidify.

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

...add two cups of flour, two tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of salt and knead into dough. Roll into sausage form. Rest for half an hour in the fridge. Cut sausage into slices, bake for 5 min in 180 degrees Celsius oven.

Sweet almond beeswax cookies!

P.S. hide from @Darkbulb !

richgem and Sara-s like this.
  13. richgem

Whats a celsius oven? Is that similar to convection heat? ;)

macaronus likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That is on need-to-know basis! :D

richgem likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got the new bow yesterday. It's a Hoyt Pro-comp Elite, target bow. Here she is, with my friend Robin Bear, test-driving. I lucked into a very good used lefty (hard to find these.)
    [​IMG]

macaronus and juicy flawless like this.
  16. richgem

Did Robin Bear get extra velcro so as to not get launched along with the arrow? ;)

17. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a few but they live in the closet now that I live in apartments. I need new strings and I need to do a lot of work with my arrows too. Retip and fletch them. I have a 20# longbow a 35# recurve, a 65# compound and a 10# fiberglass kids bow. I prefer my mom's 45# dream catcher recurve to any of my own.

macaronus likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Of course!
    I went to sight in the new bow & ran into a complication. Because of the configuration, it requires longer arrows than my other bow. Lucky for me, some other folks at our club, who shoot the same type of bow explained that to me. (I couldn't figure out why my arrows kept falling off the rest.) So we ran out to the archery store & bought some longer arrows last night. Later today, I will make another attempt at sighting her in.

Update- the longer arrows were just what I needed. I had a good shoot today.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Papa Roy, Paul Turner and macaronus like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sara-this kind of applies to bow&arrow, but it's silly. I saw the 3-Stooges cartoon when they were doing it, and the sound-effects of the arrow being shot from the bow were so funny. Kind of like an untuned guitar.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    macaronus and Sara-s like this.
  20. richgem

Sara tunes her bow before every shot. Its a perfect 440 hz "A".

macaronus and Paul Turner like this.