Any fountain pen enthusiasts on here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i've been using a Preppy fountain pen this past week. i like the matte black ink it came with and i actually like the pen.
    just cant use it at work since i write all over a page and the ink doesnt dry fast enough for me. my hand ends up getting all inked up by the end of the day.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Other than when I was a kid in school (I'm 60) I've mostly used ball points as an adult..I've recently begun to use and semi collect(mostly Chinese) fountain pens..I use a "baoer"508 daily to keep a running log of my BP and BG #'s for my doctor....Getting old sucks :angry019:!!

BamaT likes this.
  3. Sparkfly88

Sparkfly88 plain

I have a collection of fountain pen kits... And dip pens...

Being lefty sucks though...

4. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Years ago, I had a nice briefcase stolen out of my car and the scum took my Mont Blanc pen and pencil along with it. Needless to say, I was so livid that I decided to give up upscale writing instruments for a while.

About a year ago, one of my customers gave me a Parker 5th gen and I was hooked again. I always make my notes for a weekly report with the Parker, and I must admit it is one of the best writing pens (when stored point down) that I've used.

It's not a fountain pen, but any FP enthusiast should try one.

5. 178-bplatoon

:happy102: Well not to one up you, but I'm really a goner then as I'm now an "old lefty"...:happy097:

Radiotube and BamaT like this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Don't you watch Dexter? You can totally kill a man with a ballpoint!

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to get interested in fountain pens. I had a couple when I was a teenager, but have no earthly idea what they were. Definitely something inexpensive. What do you all recommend as some relatively inexpensive pens to try that are decent? Or is it better to ask what should I avoid? Is there an optimal price range for a good beginner pen?

8. 178-bplatoon

True, but a .44 works so much better and makes a nice loud noise....:)

BamaT likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Lamy makes some nice, inexpensive pens that can be filled with bottled ink.

Radiotube likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another vote for Lamy. I have five: four Safaris and an Al-Star.
    They can use cartridge or converter. I'd go with the converter and a bottle of ink - I'm not keen on the ink Lamy produces and besides, it's more fun to load up the color you want.

11. 178-bplatoon

You should "check out the reviews" on fountain pens...There are many video reviews as well..There is a guy called "sbrebrown" on youtube who makes humorous and informative videos..I semi collect the Chinese pens because:
    1) Most of the Chinese fountain pens I have seem well made and write well.(before you ink your pen for the first time, be sure to wash the nib out with a little Dawn and warm water and then rinse well with clear water and allow to dry).
    2) They are more affordable for me (including shipping most of the pens I have cost $10-$20). However like safety razors they can easily and rapidly get into the $100+ range!! :happy102: I have around 8 pens..
    3) Chinese pens come in a number of different types(sizes and shapes) and different nib sizes..
    4) They can be purchased on ebay and amazon..

Collecting and writing with fountain pens is another interesting and fun hobby and seems to go well with the "traditional" shaving theme...:)

Heres some of the pens I own:
    Vintage Wearever
    Jinhao
    Baoer
    Kaigelu
    Zebra
    Pirre Paul's

12. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

I have found the chinese pens to be a little hit and miss. Some work very nicely, others are only good for being pretty. Definitely check reviews. I have a japanese pen called the Ohto Dude, which sells for $15-$20 and never fails me. It's a metal pen with nice heft and balance, feels great in the hand, nice smooth writer. It has a medium-fine nib and is a pretty wet writer, so if I need to do very tiny lettering it doesn't work, but it's great for everything else.

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I had one of my frequent bouts of insomnia last night, and looked around a bit I noticed the Lamy Safari, and thought that looked like a good candidate. I'm quite sure this a YMMV question but what size nib do most of you prefer for smooth writing, which would be my preference over one that is good for small lettering.

14. swarden43

My preference in my Lamys is a fine nib. I find a medium nib in the Lamy is very close to a fine point Sharpie.

15. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I never even thought about fountain pens until I saw this post. As soon as I read here, I clicked over to FPN and started reading. I am now searching for some vintage pens!;)

Radiotube and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a Lamy Safari fine point for me, a Lamy Al-Star for a stocking stuffer for my wife, and a Platinum Preppy and Pilot Petit1, along with cartridge converters, a bottle of Pilot Blue ink and a bottle of Platinum Blue Black ink.

I'm quite impressed with the Safari. It writes well, using to start with the cartridge that came with it; very smooth, starts writing instantly, and I also like the angled grip.

Edit: the fine point is really more what I would imagine a medium point to be like.

I was also impressed with the Pilot Petit1. Easy to start, a tad more scratchy than the Safari but not bad, and the ink starts instantly when writing. Not so with the Preppy. It took forever to get it started initially, and then doesn't start immediately when writing. I may take the cartridge out, and wash the nib thoroughly, and see what happens.

In any event, I'm hooked on fountain pens now. I'm not sure I'll get into collecting them, but I can easily see myself getting another one here and there for use.

Glad I came across this thread, and thanks to everyone for the responses to my questions.

azsteelman and 178-bplatoon like this.
  17. swarden43

Yup. If you really want to experience a fine nib, in my opinion you need to check out the Japanese pens.

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

K.Z. "missing, probably due to my little corgi mix's kleptomania issues. When he feels insecure, he steals things (especially my things) and hides them. He does not chew them or destroy them, just hides them. He is a perfect dog other than this one highly annoying flaw.
    ][/QUOTE]

I have twice the problems that you have..........except when they are sleeping:chores016:
    2007Corgi r.jpg Copya of DSC01179.jpg

K Zollinger likes this.
  19. Larry T

Larry T Member

Yes....

[​IMG]

Radiotube, Paulie and BamaT like this.
  20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

LANBITOU 3009 gloss black pocket Space Fountain Pen fine nib. Believe I read about it here (or another shaving forum). Received it in the mail this week. It was under 6$ including shipping. Quality good, clip looks like a Parker, writes well out of the padded envelope. Neg. - it is "a little" on the small side (not that macho Meisterstuck look!!!). But for 6 bucks you can't beat it.