Any fountain pen enthusiasts on here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. azsteelman

azsteelman Member

Oh great - I see one of my other obsessions is on this forum also. I've got a pen collection just a year old with 18 pens, mostly fountain pens. I'm a little bit over the top....or so my wifey says!

Radiotube, BamaT and fzrider like this.
  2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

My collection seems to vary day to day. Wife and daughter seem to 'borrow' and they never come back. Good thing that I'm only into >price Chinese. ( the good ones are hidden. )

azsteelman likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have been using fountain pens for nearly a decade, after reading some posts at FPN back in 2005. In fact, it was a thread on wetshaving there that ultimately led me here. Things eventually went sideways at FPN, so I bailed about seven years ago. Still use fountain pens, though, and probably always will. As with shaving gear, I am definitely not an accumulator and so have only a few pens, a few bottles of ink and some plain Crane stationery. The pens take care of all my writing tasks quite nicely and are a pleasure to use.

If you have a few spare minutes, FPGeeks is also worth a look. It has a wealth of information, and is a really laid back, friendly place. And they have a Lamy sub-forum. ;)

4. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Just watched "The Birds". She used a really cool fountain pen to sign the card to the girl. Also drove a neat Jaguar. It started every time, so I am thinking it had a Jaguar body, and something else under the hood. <just really not kidding too much>

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've used several vintage and a few new FPs and my favorite writer is the "cheap" (at the time it was released) Parker 21. Writes better than the 51, at least for me...very smooth. Luckily I don't have the leakage issue reported with this model. I do prefer the look of Esterbrooks (I have red and blue) but can't get them to stay writing well for long. Need to do an overhaul on them someday.

I managed to turn a coworker on to FPs at my last job...once she tried my 21 she had to have one of her own. Gave her a Chinese knockoff and a cracked but writing 21. She said the 21 writes better hands down and can't bring herself to use ballpoints anymore

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Radiotube and BamaT like this.
  6. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Radiotube, BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup, got one on my desk right now. Not bad for the price.

Radiotube and Adonis like this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My main pen is a Pelikan M200 with an italic nib, but I also have several Lamy Safari/Vista/Alstars with 1.1 mm stubs and a small collection of vintage Esterbrooks with a variety of nibs. I don't like writing with ballpoints. My fingers are stained Noodler's Sequoia right now.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I would like to try a fountain pen, but I'm a leftie. Can anyone recommend a pen/ink combination that would be less apt to smear?

photo.jpg

Radiotube likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you're smearing a ball point, a fountain pen would only be worse.

Sorry.

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I have a Pilot Metropolitan medium nib in black. I use the cartridges and have a converter but have not tried my other ink samples.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found a couple old Scriptos from the early '70s I think. Forgot I had them. Loaded one up...writes okay. Said Medium nib but has a pretty fine line, and a bit too scritchy for me. Sticking with the 21.

13. wristwatchb

Thanks. That's what I suspected, but I wasn't sure. Some of my ballpoints smear worse than others. The Zebra F-402 actually works pretty well for me, so I will stick with it.

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I don't write lefty, but I hear that you can manage it with a fountain pen if you are able to "underwrite"... position the bulk of your hand so that it's completely below the line you are writing as opposed to keeping it dragging on the line you are writing. It may take some practice and also a faster drying ink is helpful too. You might try Noodler's.

wristwatchb likes this.
  15. wristwatchb

Thanks Richard. I may give this a try!

richgem likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Also, some fountain pens are made with lefty or "oblique" nibs. Look for those.

wristwatchb and Radiotube like this.
  17. richgem

Good luck! Life's too short to write with ballpoint pens. ;)

BamaT and wristwatchb like this.
  18. richgem

wristwatchb likes this.
  19. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I haven't pulled mine out of the box in awhile, but I always enjoyed taking notes in meetings with unique colored inks that are possible with fountain pens. They also make prettier text, in my opinion, but like a rose is beautiful, the leakage is like the thorns. I still enjoyed it. Now I mostly do notetaking on the computer itself, so I don't write as much as I used to. I miss it. I might clean it up and put it back to work. I have currently only one, my Waterman Carene Medium Point, Amber Shimmer...
    [​IMG]
    You can always spot a fountain pen user!
    [​IMG]
    FOUNTAIN PENS ARE COOL...
    [​IMG]

BamaT and Sara-s like this.
  20. richgem

You know, back in ye olden days, ink stained fingers were considered desirable as a sign of education and literacy. 'Course you lefties would have been burned as being in league with the devil.... I've guess there's a downside to everything. :(

BamaT and Radiotube like this.