Any GRIND recommendations for first purchase?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by McCrae, Jan 22, 2020.

1. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

That's good to know and thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to reach out if I have any questions.

Karl G likes this.
  2. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

Not to pile on here, and take this from a new guy, I wouldn’t go bigger than 6/8 or maybe 13/16. I LOVE the look of big blades and I love the look of square points. But, I bought an 8/8 and it’s a whole different beast. It’s a lot heavier and the angles are just really different. I still like it and I’m still learning it, but I find myself reaching for the DE for cleanup too often. For me, with a big blade, under the nose is just a real pain!

Most of my razors are 6/8 and that’s what I started on. Generally good price points and easy to use. I just picked up a 5/8 recently and it’s a joy! I find I prefer full hollow because I like the xtra feedback (noise), but I’ve got a 1/2 that works just great too.

I think the best advice was a few posts ago, don’t over think it! Grab one that suits your eye and isn’t going to break the bank. You know you you’ll end up buying more later on!

Good luck!

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've got an 15/16 Herder and a 4/8 Wester that deliver as smooth of a shave as a shavette. When I first got the Herder I was expecting it to be noticeably different because of the popularity of wide blade straight razors. I think everyone has to experience the differences themselves since one size definitely does not fit all.

4/8 and 5/8 cost less on the vintage market.

McCrae likes this.
  4. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I know why. Cause you're nuts! Just like me - 80+ straights and I have used them all, at least once. Of course, I have favorites. I have several very old full wedges and some not so old full hollows and everything in between and I shave with whatever suits my mood that day. I just enjoy working on them to get them looking and shaving as best as I can get them.

5. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Yep...that's me too. Got a Puma number 1 with 5/8ths width arriving tomorrow, my shave which was sooo smooth yesterday was a Crown n Sword, it was one of my first straights and takes a great edge. Not the shiniest razor, but it has nice patina and character.

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I have several of them (Crown & Sword). You're right they are great shavers.

7. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Half - 1/4 hollow depending on how coarse your beard is. If you grow porcupine like facial hair I’d suggest a wedge. If you find that your growth is average just about anything will work. Just a warning if your going custom, there are not many razor makers that can even provide a true quarter hollow so please keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCrae and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

If you are interested in a nr wedge 4/8th I will be selling one that was honed by our very own @fergie.billy.

McCrae and Edison Carter like this.