Any left handed SR shavers out there?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have a theory...and as with most theories, if I can get enough people to agree with me then it must be the truth. ;)

I often read how newbies to SR shaving find the switching of the razor from right to left hand is more difficult. I am left handed...so living in a right handed world we lefties tend to be more ambidextrous than your average Joe. I find switching my SR from left to right to be very easy for me. I wonder if other lefties have noticed this?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm a left handed carpenter by trade. Straight, SE, and DE razors work well in either hand for me.
    I encounter the right handed bias of the world on occasion. They don't realize when they set up a device for their convenience. I adapt and overcome.

3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I am right handed and find my left hand works fine. However that may be because I have been playing guitar for 45 years.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Rusty blade, Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm left-handed and used both hands from the start. The learning curve was short for me.
    [​IMG]

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dominant lefty here…but I do switch hands when SR shaving.

Benn playing about 30 years…left-handed. :D My right-hand however remains FAR behind the left in coordination!

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I think I might have been left handed if it hadn't been corrected out of me. My handwriting is only slight more legible with my right hand than my left. I shoot billiards left handed, and skate and snowboard goofy footed. I use most tools, including sharp knives with my right hand first, but will use my left hand if it won't work right handed. I had zero problems figuring out how to use my left hand from my first SR shave.

macaronus, RyX, Rusty blade and 2 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I am a Right Handed SR Shaver..My Left Hand Only gets Used for Stretching Skin & Stuff..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Rusty blade and Pilotcld like this.
  8. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I think the left handedness was also corrected out of me. I snowboard and longboard with my left foot forward. But when long boarding I have to take my left foot (front foot) off and push with it. Can't push with my right foot. Also, I lead with my left hand/foot whenever doing gymnastics. Also did the first 170+ hours of my flying with my left hand. Anywho, I'm right handed, but haven't ever had problems with shaving with my left hand except that my hand blocks my face, so I have to shave all by feeling on the left side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macaronus, RyX, Rusty blade and 3 others like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Flying???? I have my left hand on the yoke and my right hand on the throttle.

Rusty blade, Pilotcld and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Yeah! I fly Diamond aircraft, so until I started working towards my certificates, it was left hand on the stick and right hand on the throttle! Now it's left hand on the throttles, right hand on the stock as I'm about to have my first job as a flight instructor in Mesa. :)
    What do you fly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I hate to say it, but my days of Pilot in Command are more than likely over. I had a dream of being a pilot for a living when I was a kid and joined the Civil Air Patrol with a goal of joining the US Air Force. Never happened. However, I took lessons in a Piper Tomahawk and got my Single Engine rating way back in 1980. I moved up to Piper Cherokees and Cessna 172's and flew them all over the northeast just for fun! I got my IFR rating after a couple of years of VFR and thought about moving up to multi-engine from there, with the thought of somehow making a career with that. Remember People's Express? A wife and a mortgage got in the way along the line and something had to give.

You're a lucky man!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread!

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

While it is well known among lefties that we are going to take over the world some day (we are just waiting for the signal)...I guess it really just depends on the person and how comfortable they are switching hands. I am quite ambidextrous..I seem to be able to do most things with both hands (except writing). Likely the result of getting my knuckles smacked with a yard stick by teachers in my early school days because I used my left hand. As for today...I seem to nick myself equally well with my left and right hand.;)

mrchick, RyX, Robyflexx and 1 other person like this.